• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2019 Scarab 165 Rotax

Alex&Ramune

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
Hello everyone,
Yesterday went on a gulf to try our Scarab 165. Were cruising for about good 7-8 miles, then later started speeding and of course had lots of fun on the water. And suddenly engine started slow down and completely shut down. No sign of engine light or error on the display. Tried to start again, but ran less than 30 seconds and shut down again. Had moments couldnt even start. Eventually had to call Sea Tow who towed as back to the launch. Does anyone know what can be?

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Assuming it still cranks/starts but dies on you... likely either spark or fuel related. It's much less likely to have a fuel issue (but not impossible). I'd start by checking your spark plugs and ignition coils.

Other options could be bad fuel, lack of flow of fuel....

Without an engine light, that's a little odd. Most of these types of issues have some sort of engine light/error code.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Hmmm one other possibility related to fuel. Your gauge.. does it indicate a full tank?

Alex&Ramune

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
Assuming it still cranks/starts but dies on you... likely either spark or fuel related. It's much less likely to have a fuel issue (but not impossible). I'd start by checking your spark plugs and ignition coils.

Other options could be bad fuel, lack of flow of fuel....

Without an engine light, that's a little odd. Most of these types of issues have some sort of engine light/error code.
Yes was definately odd that there was no indicated engine light or error code. it just ran for 30 seconds and shut down again. Also while we used a blower it ran for little longer about few minutes but shut down again. so we were not sure what to do.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Is it still on full? Like, shows full bars? I ask for a good reason.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
OK. That's a good thing. Many owners have discovered they can have a stuck fuel float. When it gets stuck, it shows as entirely full and remains there. Many thought they had a full tank when they were actually out of gas. lol Some of your behavior could be explained by this.

As long as it has dropped a few bars, then that's not your problem.

I'd still check plugs/coils. When you turn on power to your ignition (but not the engine), you should hear the fuel pump also go through a check. You should hear a sound for a few seconds before it goes away. That should confirm the fuel pump is working.

Alex&Ramune

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
OK. That's a good thing. Many owners have discovered they can have a stuck fuel float. When it gets stuck, it shows as entirely full and remains there. Many thought they had a full tank when they were actually out of gas. lol Some of your behavior could be explained by this.

As long as it has dropped a few bars, then that's not your problem.

I'd still check plugs/coils. When you turn on power to your ignition (but not the engine), you should hear the fuel pump also go through a check. You should hear a sound for a few seconds before it goes away. That should confirm the fuel pump is working.
Thats a good point will check it today, didnt even think about it. For sure it was a feeling something isnt going through to keep it running. Maybe you are right about the fuel pump, because when i started with a blower we could keep on a cruise mode for few min until it lost power and shut down. Thank you very much for great tips, will come back if I have any questions.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Sounds good. Confirm the fuse for the fuel pump is good too. That's in the fuse box by the battery specifically. There are labels there.