• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2019 Scarab 195 ID Reverse Gate Bouncing

Jonathan.stred

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
Hey all,
I bought a 2019 Scarab 195 ID in 2020 and of course the first thing I did was suck a Tow rope in the intake. Got that fixed then noticed I lost reverse. Found out the cable controlling the bucket bent when the tow rope got sucked in. Got that fixed this winter and got it back in the water last weekend and now when going over 7MPH the gate catches the spray and bounces up and down and jerks the boat. They have it at the shop now but the dealer has fired all their workers that know anything about Jet boats. At this point I feel like I know more about jet boats than they do. I am trying to find a schematic of the impeller / bucket module or area with no luck because I am pretty sure that there is a clip that is supposed to hold it up when the throttle is in the Forward position. I figure while they had it apart they might have forgotten to reinstall it. Does anyone know of a parts breakdown for the impellor and Bucket modules? Any assistance is appreciated. Thank you.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length

Select Rotax JPS, then AJ = 2019 (AA 2014 and up), engine HP, etc. It's under "Jet Pump Reverse Gate". That part is universal though, so it doesn't matter which one you pick.

It's called a pawl stop (label 20) and the machine screws (label 30).

If your bucket is spraying, it's because it's too low, probably not because of the this catch plate. It should catch this plate though... but the underlying cause of the spray would be your bucket positioning needs to be adjusted.

1624020550768.png

Jonathan.stred

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length

Select Rotax JPS, then AJ = 2019 (AA 2014 and up), engine HP, etc. It's under "Jet Pump Reverse Gate". That part is universal though, so it doesn't matter which one you pick.

It's called a pawl stop (label 20) and the machine screws (label 30).

If your bucket is spraying, it's because it's too low, probably not because of the this catch plate. It should catch this plate though... but the underlying cause of the spray would be your bucket positioning needs to be adjusted.

View attachment 153838
So I was able to reach down and grab the bucket while my buddy was driving and hold it up and the jerking went away. There seems to be a lot of play in the bucket that allows it to move up and down about 2 inches.
I would think that if the bucket was positioned wrong wouldn't it be a constant pull vice a bounce...well as I type this I can visualize it also bouncing because of position also due to the amount of play. Talking to the tech they are looking to stop selling and servicing Scarabs which is great because they are the only dealers in Maine. Guess I better get more knowledgeable about them...lol

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
The "play" in the bucket is normal. That's why it's supposed to go up farther and latch which removes any play and ensures it's out of the way of the jet nozzle.

If it's catching the jet, it's too low and requires an adjustment.

On the bright side, these boats are pretty simple to maintain. Most problems anyways. It's so simple even I can do it! lol

Jonathan.stred

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
The "play" in the bucket is normal. That's why it's supposed to go up farther and latch which removes any play and ensures it's out of the way of the jet nozzle.

On the bright side, these boats are pretty simple to maintain. Most problems anyways. It's so simple even I can do it! lol
I had them look and this piece is missing.
reverse gate.png

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
My buddy just bought a 165. Same issue. Weird... Keep forgetting the piece.

Jonathan.stred

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
My buddy just bought a 165. Same issue. Weird... Keep forgetting the piece.
From looking at the picture it is literally a pin that slides in a hole held with a small spring. I would assume that it can fall out very easily, not a well made design. You did mention adjustments and I am assuming you cannot buy a Haynes manual like you can for a Vehicle. Is there a manual of some sort which give you the adjustment procedures?

Winerocks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
From looking at the picture it is literally a pin that slides in a hole held with a small spring. I would assume that it can fall out very easily, not a well made design. You did mention adjustments and I am assuming you cannot buy a Haynes manual like you can for a Vehicle. Is there a manual of some sort which give you the adjustment procedures?
Have only heard of one case of the roll pin coming out. They are designed to stay in-place unless hammered out with a punch. It does not look super-robust, but does its job well and seldom fails. If it is a concern, it would be relatively easy to drill and tap a hole in the hook, and hold the roll pin in place with a set screw.
If you search this forum, there are at least a couple of threads dedicated to reverse-gate adjustments.

Jonathan.stred

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
Have only heard of one case of the roll pin coming out. They are designed to stay in-place unless hammered out with a punch. It does not look super-robust, but does its job well and seldom fails. If it is a concern, it would be relatively easy to drill and tap a hole in the hook, and hold the roll pin in place with a set screw.
If you search this forum, there are at least a couple of threads dedicated to reverse-gate adjustments.
Thank you all for your assistance

Tatalover78

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
I have 2019 195id . Had the same issue last year where the pin would walk itself out and then one day it was all gone.. dealer shipped me the parts under warranty. Took about 3 minutes to install. Replacement pin fits tighter and s hasnt moved since.

jeremie16

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length

I'm having the same issue and my boat is still in the water. Is it was simple as reaching down and tightening a bolt? I'm getting alight spray and noise from the bucket that seems slightly low...

Jetboat rookie here, still learning -all help is appreciated

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
@jeremie16 No sadly. This is more involved. You definitely need to get the boat out of the water to do this.

jeremie16

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
last
is there a video or guide that can walk me through it? much appreciated!
more questions - is it normal to happen after 40 hours only?
thank you!