• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2020 242SE Water Temp and the effect on Speed

canefan75

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Quick question: How much effect does warmer water have on the speed of our boats? The water in our area has been in the low 90's for weeks and the humidity is high this time of year as well. I would think these conditions would reduce top speed some but wanted to hear what others are experiencing. Right now my 242SE will do 44-45 with 1/2 tank and 5 people.

jim1

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Quick question: How much effect does warmer water have on the speed of our boats? The water in our area has been in the low 90's for weeks and the humidity is high this time of year as well. I would think these conditions would reduce top speed some but wanted to hear what others are experiencing. Right now my 242SE will do 44-45 with 1/2 tank and 5 people.
I’ve only noticed a 1-2 MPH difference (full throttle) from early March to now and that may be attributable to the amount of gas in the tank. The surface temp on our lake is about 20 degrees warmer now.

I was 60% full this weekend and saw 49 MPH w/ 3 people and relatively calm conditions. 51 MPH is the highest I’ve seen (it was in March) and I don’t recall how much gas I had, but I had the same 3 people.

I spend most of my time cruising between 25-35.

Last edited:

Markwest

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
2019 242 SE - 60% fuel in Florida in July on the intercoastal water ways with little to no chop and I can only get 44-45mph. Bimini in the tilted down orientation. I was thinking of testing with the bimini sunroof open to reduce drag to see if that had much effect.

canefan75

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
2019 242 SE - 60% fuel in Florida in July on the intercoastal water ways with little to no chop and I can only get 44-45mph. Bimini in the tilted down orientation. I was thinking of testing with the bimini sunroof open to reduce drag to see if that had much effect.
the same here. I think the water temp and humidity is zapping 2-3mph.

jim1

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
What’s the highest speed you’ve seen with the bimini tilted down? Mine’s always in the up position, I wonder if that has an impact?

Markwest

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
What’s the highest speed you’ve seen with the bimini tilted down? Mine’s always in the up position, I wonder if that has an impact?
I have had the boat two weekends. I have added 10hrs, 5 in each position. Actually have not noticed a speed change in either position. I have hit my head many times in the forward tilted position.

BrentEB

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I tried a comparison with the Bimini up and down on my boat - no difference in top speed. If the Bimini pitch were to cause enough wind resistance to slow the boat I'd expect it to fly off... Seriously.

Jeel

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
2019 AR 240 ..in early spring and late fall when water is in the upper 60s i see 53 mph ...now with water temps in mid 80s and humid i top out at 48