• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2021 AR210 Out the Door Price

Fasttrack354

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
New to the to the site and will be a new jet boat owner. I understand that the market is currently dried out of 2020 Yamaha models and we're seeing pre-ordered 2021 coming in. I was going to place a reservation for a 2021 Yamaha AR210, but when the dealer sent me a quote, I noticed a $3k+ in dealer mark-up for freight and dealer prep, so the total came out to $53K for a $46K boat. Is this normal or is this due to the overwhelming high demand experienced this year? I tried the dealer prep fee down, but sales guy would not take any lower than what was quoted.

Are the Dealer Prep and Freight cost normally this high?

Screen Shot 2020-07-30 at 8.36.08 AM.png

Thanks,

Boatinmama14

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That looks pretty normal, even without the demand the freight, dealer prep and doc fees are going to be there, and for boats they are up there. It may differ from state to state and dealership, ive seen higher and lower but nothing dramatically lower. If the demand wasn't so high you might be able to talk them down on the actual price of the boat but not the other, those are always fixed.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Fasttrack354 The MSRP he gave you was for a 2020 AR210. It is believed that it will be higher for 2021, how much would just be a guess, so start with that. The dealer prep and freight look roughly right, but before the run on the boats dealers were working with that. I believe freight changes depending on the distance from the main factory to the dealership. For example I purchased my boat with dealer prep, freight and taxes, so basically OTD under MSRP. This was done this last April. I have a 2020 AR210. They also threw in a Coast Guard Package with PFD's, Throwable, Anchor, Fire Extinguisher, Fenders, Ropes, Fender Lines, Some Anchor chain and a discount on any items that I bought through them, Accessories, till the end of the year. Which I used for Oil change kits, a snap bow cover and a mooring cover.

I few weeks later when I picked up my boat, there were no deals to be had and inventory was flying out of the all the dealerships.

With the state of how everything is, it will be all subjective. With such an appetite for boats right now in the market, it is assumable that fees, prep and Freight will most likely not be discounted, and if they are not much.

The key is context. You can't compare what things were before the pandemic to what they are now. What you can do is compare different dealers now to each other and see the best deal you can negotiate. I am sure as time goes on and things cool off a bit there will be more room for negotiation and absorption of costs and fees. But what that will be and how long it will take to get there is an unknown.

Determine how important it is to you for a boat at this time factoring in enjoyment, use and making some damn good memories against what you can afford and then speak with multiple dealers for the best deal. Without the 2021 21 footers showing up yet and the MSRP still not out for those, it may be prudent to simmer hopefully for just a bit longer.

Another option may be to look at a used boat that has been gently used. Someone was just posting here about a 2020 212S for in the low 50's with very little hours which is a lot more boat with the upgrades and engines for the same price. His price is fantastic imho. Just an idea.

Boatinmama14

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Fasttrack354 if they are giving you the 2020 price that saves you a couple hundred atleast, I know most dealerships aren't doing that and Ive even seen some quoting msrp higher than it actually is. For 2021 ar210 with painted trailer its 45,999, with a galvanized its 46,399.

El Comandante

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What exactly is the dealer providing for their prep fee?
I would require an itemized list of just what they do for that price.
I will request a water test prior to final acceptance.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well they clean the boat, fill it with gas, set up the tower, check oil and engine and battery, tire pressure, put together anything that wasn't assembled before shipping, take the shipping brackets off the tower and check tower and I am sure a few other things. I would also assume that they run through their own internal list. Whether they will give you an itemized list would be up to them, I don't see why not, but again that would be on the dealer.

Getting a water test would be prudent and I am not sure why a dealer wouldn't do it. When I took delivery of mine, there was no way to do a test. Fortunately everything worked out great.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
New to the to the site and will be a new jet boat owner. I understand that the market is currently dried out of 2020 Yamaha models and we're seeing pre-ordered 2021 coming in. I was going to place a reservation for a 2021 Yamaha AR210, but when the dealer sent me a quote, I noticed a $3k+ in dealer mark-up for freight and dealer prep, so the total came out to $53K for a $46K boat. Is this normal or is this due to the overwhelming high demand experienced this year? I tried the dealer prep fee down, but sales guy would not take any lower than what was quoted.

Are the Dealer Prep and Freight cost normally this high?

View attachment 127748

Thanks,
@Fasttrack354 .....yes, normal. I paid even more for my freight and dealer PDI. :cool:

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
What exactly is the dealer providing for their prep fee?
I would require an itemized list of just what they do for that price.
I will request a water test prior to final acceptance.
@El.....clean boat, assemble trailers and boat accessories, add and/or check oil and levels......a year ago some might give you a list today they might just say that's the way it is - go elsewhere if you don't like it and the boat will be gone while you are debating about it. I bought JUST before the stampede started and got some deals guys who bought two weeks later got nothing. :cool:

El Comandante

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@El.....clean boat, assemble trailers and boat accessories, add and/or check oil and levels......a year ago some might give you a list today they might just say that's the way it is - go elsewhere if you don't like it and the boat will be gone while you are debating about it. I bought JUST before the stampede started and got some deals guys who bought two weeks later got nothing. :cool:
And if the dealer said that to me that would be fine and fair. My response would be likewise fine and fair and would take my business elsewhere. Somehow given the COVID hysteria and buying frenzy consumers have lost their standing in the economy, and not just with boats. I just sold my house in 2 days for 99% of asking price. WTF? I'll take it of course but that's not how I would go about buying a boat nor would I pay for something that I didn't know exactly what I was getting in return.

I have trouble with any dealer, of any type, car, boat, RV, charging me $1000's to wash a brand new boat, check the oil, gas it up, and put air in the tires. I can do all that myself and would rather pocket the $1000 or so fee. If I agreed to pay their "juice" on top of their dealer margin, then I want a value in return. For example, I would want an accompanied water test, not by the salesman but by one of their techs, and a thorough review and check of all systems "ok".

I've had a long career in sales, and admittedly a salty old dog, and a horrible buyer because...well....I hate "salesmen". I don't like being sold nor BS'd. I know "dealer prep" is just like "undercoating and rust proofing". It's BS unless you're getting something that is of value to YOU vs the dealer. Oil and gas and a wash is of no value to me.

I don't come in to buying a boat with desperation or unwilling to wait to get a deal. I could care less if they sold the boat to someone else who's willing to overpay, and that's what's happening right now, everyone is overpaying compared to 6 months ago or so. I prefer to wait the bubble out and buy low then sell high.

And yes damn it, I'm off my meds!

Fasttrack354

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks all for the comments, I'm considering all my options, I have a few other dealer within an 1hr drive that I will reach out too.

thanks,

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I refuse to pay above MSRP for anything, 1350 for dealer prep is BS. Dealerships are taking advantage of the consumer using Covid as an excuse. When I bought my Jeep Gladiator a few weeks after they were released dealers were marking them 3K to 10K over MSRP, they were acting like it was some type of rare vehicle. I ended up paying 5% under invoice for my Jeep.

OldFireGuy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I refuse to pay above MSRP for anything, 1350 for dealer prep is BS. Dealerships are taking advantage of the consumer using Covid as an excuse. When I bought my Jeep Gladiator a few weeks after they were released dealers were marking them 3K to 10K over MSRP, they were acting like it was some type of rare vehicle. I ended up paying 5% under invoice for my Jeep.
I agree on the msrp......I will not pay a penny more. It's a boat, and they make boats everyday. If I miss out then so be it......I'll buy one this winter for next year. Good luck to all.......be safe out there

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I agree on the msrp......I will not pay a penny more. It's a boat, and they make boats everyday. If I miss out then so be it......I'll buy one this winter for next year. Good luck to all.......be safe out there
@OldFireGuy and @ripler .....agree 100% with you guys - but since May, in my area, everything that would float and some that barely did sold so fast that you barely had time to get your check book out. Private sales saw bidding - like in real estate for houses. As I said I got a decent deal - not as good as I would have in 2019 - but decent. Did it still leave a sour taste in my mouth - yes. Guys who bought after me got nothing at any boating dealership. The salesmen wouldn't even discuss deals. Yes, you could walk away.....but for a couple of grand did I want to lose a summer of boating? :cool:

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@OldFireGuy and @ripler .....agree 100% with you guys - but since May, in my area, everything that would float and some that barely did sold so fast that you barely had time to get your check book out. Private sales saw bidding - like in real estate for houses. As I said I got a decent deal - not as good as I would have in 2019 - but decent. Did it still leave a sour taste in my mouth - yes. Guys who bought after me got nothing at any boating dealership. The salesmen wouldn't even discuss deals. Yes, you could walk away.....but for a couple of grand did I want to lose a summer of boating? :cool:
I agree that the boat market both used and new is red hot in a lot of areas, hell I had a guy a few weeks ago ask if I would be interested in selling my boat. But for a dealer to try and take advantage of a buyer because they are telling the buyer that there are boat shortages is just plain wrong. There are still 2020 boats out there to be bought and there are 2021 models from every single manufacturer showing up at dealerships every day.
As far as the BS prep fee, all the dealers do is install a battery and give the boat a once over, car dealerships do the same thing and have you ever seen a prep fee on a car? I can't remember the exact number since I bought my boat a long time ago, but I believe I paid $150.00 prep fee on my boat.