• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2021 Scarab 195 vs Yamaha AR190

traderfjp

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I went to look at a 2018 AR192 yesterday which is very similar to the latest 2021 model. I can't find a dealer in my area that stocks a 2021 AR190, SX190, etc.. That said I came across a video that compares an older 2014 Yamaha 192 with a Scarab 195. In the video the guy who compares the boat makes some great observations on how the Scarab is better (almost in every way). The biggest pluses, if true, from the video is that the Scarab is much quieter, has a better system to lower the tower for fitting in the garage, and the seating area has two captain shares and a j bench. Looks like the seats fold down in front of the deck where you put your feet in the water so you can recline and then the same seats fold flat making a great sun area. I also liked that there was a board that helped shield the driver from wind. My concerns is that the Yamaha seems to be more reliable and has a better dealer network - if I need repairs. Also, I'm looking at a 2021 boat so not sure if Yamaha has addressed a lot of these issues. I'm 58 and use to work with kids so the engine noise difference is probably the thing that is steering me to the Scarab and the seats that fold flat and recline. Oh yeah there electronics seem better too. I was wondering if anyone else has actually test drove or Owned a Scarab 195 and can compare it to the Yamaha 190 series. Video comparing the two boats Thanks

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
No need to start another thread. You should keep replying underneath the first thread.

@Julian @Luc Lafreniere can you move this to here?

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
When the Scarab 195 came out, the Yamaha model had already been in existence for like 2 years so Scarab had the ability to analyze the boat and how to make theirs more appealing. They did definitely make some design improvements over the Yamaha, but initial quality was really poor and the boat was smaller. From what I understand, their quality has gotten better, but still cannot compete with Yamaha's. The Yamaha has since been redesigned and significantly improved on an already great boat. It got 3" longer and 6" wider which makes a HUGE difference in interior size feel. In my opinion, the dual captains chair are highly overrated unless you don't plan on having more than 4 people in the cockpit on a regular basis. The bench seat makes the boat feel a lot bigger and opens the boat up for seating more people comfortably. That's why the dedicated water sports boats have been using that setup for decades. It also adds some great storage space for shoes, bags, or coolers underneath. A very nice touch on a smaller boat so you don't end up with a very cluttered cockpit.

With the two boats the way they are, I would hands down go with the Yamaha over the Scarab based on size alone. The only thing at this point that the Scarab 195 has on Yamaha 195 is a little top end speed and some would argue better gel coat schemes.

Peter simon

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Based on what i see used, the Yamahas have a higher resale value and are more in demand. We all know we will trade for a larger boat before we pay the old one off .

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
The biggest pluses, if true, from the video is that the Scarab is much quieter,
First off let me say that online reviews, videos, etc. will most likely be biased towards what the reviewer prefers. Keep that in mind...do your own research IN PERSON. When buying new you're spending a lot of money so you need to buy what works for YOU. We spent months looking at various brands and models, water tested several units, went to the boat show in the winter and looked at other options, etc. What we like you may not, and vice-versa.

Now having said that, in my opinion both are noisier than outboards, and newer I/O drives, but wind noise is almost as loud at cruising speeds and above. I've been on several boats with the Rotax engines and they're not really any quieter than a Yamaha - the sound is slightly different but not really louder (3-cyl vs 4-cyl). If you compare an AR190 (no supercharger) with a Scarab with the supercharger, you will definitely say the Scarab is louder and has a whine from the SC unit. You need to compare apples to apples - so an AR195 vs Scarab 195 with similar engines is what you need to compare.

Note - Yamaha 190 series is normally aspirated engine, and the 195 series is supercharged.

As for our boat with twin engines, it's about the same noise as our 20 year old 4.3L mercruiser. The bigger engines have more grunt sound due to displacement, and the jet engines are smaller and higher pitched = different sound but not terribly annoying. The fun factor makes you forget about the noise once you're out zipping around. If you're coming from a 2015 I/O or outboard, these jetboats will be a bit louder, but who cares. Punch the throttle and have fun!
has a better system to lower the tower for fitting in the garage,
Yes their fold-back tower is lower stock, but my wife said it's ugly and it uses poles in the front of the windshield to support the bimini while the Yamaha doesn't - personal choice there. The Yamaha can be easily modded to go lower than the windshield so storage height is a moot point really.
and the seating area has two captain shares
If you want two buckets you can look at the Yamaha 195s model to compare to the Scarab and they're close in price and it comes with a supercharged engine with similar performance to the Scarab with a 250hp engine. The 300hp ACE engine gives the Scarab an edge, but at the cost of greater fuel consumption if that's an issue. When buying new, I'd go for the biggest or most powerful option anyway.
Looks like the seats fold down
Make sure you check that fold-flat "versalounge" in person. We looked at one and the hinges in the seat really hurt the knee caps when you're crawling over it or leaning on your elbows. If we bought the Scarab, we would not get it with the "versalounge" option. The standard tilt forward/back rests is what we would have done. Just our opinion though.
a board that helped shield the driver from wind.
Not sure what that means? What board exactly?
I'm 58 and use to work with kids so the engine noise difference is probably the thing that is steering me to the Scarab and the seats that fold flat and recline.
You'll need to do a water test with both boats and compare...engine noise is probably not a factor. The flat sunning area is nice, but Yamaha boats simply put a sunpad area in the front instead of the back. You add a cushion in the walkway area and it makes a roomy area, but not quite as wide as the Scarab. To be honest though, we've NEVER used the sunpad area on our new Yamaha - we're not young kids so we stay out of the sun more now. We spend most of our leisure time at the swim platform so again sunpad option is moot to us.
Oh yeah there electronics seem better too.
Not sure what this means - stereos? If yes, then you can get the Scarab with a better stereo system, but you pay for it. With the Yamaha you simply pay to get it upgraded yourself - either way you pay so that cancels out.

If you mean electronics like throttle control, no wake modes, displays, etc. I think they're all the same - just different. I liked the Medallion screens on the Vortex and the Scarab was nice too, but the Yamaha is just as nice. I thought the throttle-by-wire would be better, but I'm just as happy with Yamaha's good old fashioned cable throttle. Note that while a cable is in the throttle housing, it simply moves an electronic actuator and throttle is controlled electronically via the ECM and throttle body intake - the cable does not open/close the throttle body directly.
I was wondering if anyone else has actually test drove or Owned a Scarab 195 and can compare it to the Yamaha 190 series.
You can't compare those two, different classes of engines, unless you can get the Scarab with the 150hp non-supercharged engine?

We drove several models. Something we did like about the Scarab you didn't mention, is colour choices where you have more options. And the boat can be customized more, but at a cost. Also we liked that the Scarab uses the Rotax jetpump design that makes it more maneuverable in tight spaces. But after water testing both designs, either gets the job done. We have no issues docking with the Yamaha - it's certainly easier than our old I/O drive.

Whatever you choose, both would be reliable and enjoyable boats. Just make sure you do in person comparisons, don't listen to reviews as they can often be biased based on what they chose to buy. My own included I'm sure, but I try to be neutral. For instance I really wanted a Vortex but the wife didn't like the seating so...
🙂

Last edited:

traderfjp

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Thanks Jet Boat Addict. I appreciate you taking the time to share your wisdom on boat selection and your thoughts. Both boats are impossible to find new but I did locate a couple of used boats that I practically new. I put a deposit on a SCARAB but I have a day or two to decide. It's a 2020 195ID with 20 hours, trailer with brakes, upgraded tires on trailer, Cognac seats, and a bimini top. It doesn't have the electronics package, upgraded stereo, or tower. It does have the ACE 300hp engine which is an attractive option. I'm still debating if I want to drive 12 hours to get the boat. boat 5.JPG
boat 4.JPG
boat 3.JPG
boat 2.JPG
boat 1.JPG

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Thanks Jet Boat Addict.
Hey that's my ranking in the forum, not my user name.
:D
I'm still debating if I want to drive 12 hours to get the boat.
Ultimately it's up to you if it fits your needs...the boat looks nice, and you can always upgrade items yourself.

For instance, the maps on my boat are ok but I want to have maps and boat data at the same time so I'm adding a chartplotter to the dash in the spring. The stock stereo is ok for lounging but needs more power for cruising, so I added an amp to get the stock speakers pumping and will be adding an additional pair of matching Polk DB652 speakers mid-cabin to boost the cockpit sound level while cruising. I looked at getting JL speakers but the cost doesn't justify the improvements (CDN prices are too high), and I found a location that has matching new Polk's in stock for 10% of the price of buying just 2 pairs of JL speakers. I already have the amp to power them so just a simple upgrade really but should make a nice improvement. The only thing left will be finding replacements for the trailer brake lights - I want to switch to brighter LED for daytime towing. I plan to contact Shorland'r to see if they can ship a plug in replacement pair to Canada for a reasonable price and I can easily swap them myself.

That should be it...I have nothing else to improve. The boat is fantastic otherwise.