• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2021 Yamaha 275 SD Starboard Engine Stuck at Idle

wschrade

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Good morning all,

I was out on my 2021 275 SD (approximately 55 total hours) yesterday when I lost throttle control of the Starboard engine. It first happened when I tried to switch from single throttle control of both engines to the Drive system (helm paddle controllers).

After making the swap on the Connext screen, the paddles wouldn't work.
I received an error message that read something like "stop steering the boat and contact a Yamaha dealer".
I then transitioned to dual throttle control. In this mode the Port throttle worked, but the Starboard throttle did not, the Starboard engine remained at idle.
I switched back to single throttle lever mode and limped back to my home marina to shut the boat down and reboot to see if that cleared the issue.

After a pretty hairy docking evolution (boat is difficult to control in windy conditions on one engine) I turned her off completely and then restarted her. The problem cleared. We departed the marina for a 35 minute transit to get lunch. I operated her on single throttle mode. Both engines produced power until at the lunch area boat basin when I tried to transition to the Drive system again. The same thing happened, so silenced the alarm and docked using the port engine with the starboard engine at idle. I shut her down went for lunch. Came back, started her up and the problem cleared.

This process repeated two more times before we put her away for the day.

Any ideas what this could be? I bought her in July, so she is still under warranty, but the dealer is an hour and a half away by boat across the Chessapeake Bay (don't have a trailer) and I don't look forward to the transit with engine issues.

Thanks for your thoughts.

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Anything stuck in clean out port of starboard engine? Was that clean out plug in properly?

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I had that happen once on mine when pulling out of the slip. For me i had to shut everything down, switch off the batteries for 2 min then turn on again to reboot the connext and optimus system. Other than that one time its never done it again except once where on the trailer at my house i left the batteries and screen on overnight and voltage got low. This same issue has happend to others with the 27 and it came down to a bad battery. The batteries need to be good quality and in tip top shape. The optimus steering system requires more voltage than the connext so if voltage is down or batteries arent quite up to snuff then the optimus system will be the first to throw an error to the connext system.

wschrade

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I think I figured out the issue. I believe I screwed up the install of my Enhanced Thrust Vector (am beta testing the lateral thruster 2.0) Looks like I didn't properly tighten the bolt that holds the reverse bucket and thrust vector fin on the jet nozzle. I am hoping the boat knew something is wrong and this is a protection mechanism. JetBoatPilot.com is awesome, their customer service is superior and are sending me the replacement parts Monday. I will report back if fixing this issue fixes the whole thing. See attached pic.PXL_20210910_185949975.jpg

wschrade

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I feel shame:-(