• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2022 Yamaha 195S Audio Upgrade Project

gking

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Products purchased and installed:

2. Wet Sounds ANL Fuse holder and 100 Amp ANL fuse.
How did you calculate this "main" amp size? max amp draw on all three amps (incl powered woofer) seems much higher than 100 amps? thanks!

Billy John

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
thank you for all this 195s audio upgrade info. I am designing an upgrade for mine. I have the stock recon 6 in cabin. in your experience would a skar 75w rms per channel (4x @4ohms) amp do a good job with the recons do you think? Then later I can add tower speaker pair and sub amp?
I think the Recons are 50 w RMS 100 w peak, so the 75 w per channel amp should do just fine. Keep any future upgrades in mind with your amp choices. I went with the Wet Sounds HTX-4 at 100 w rms per channel knowing that I wanted REVO cabin speakers in the future. I also went with the SYNDX 2.3 HP amp for the towers knowing I may want to add a second set of Rev 10s in the future, which is what that amp was designed to handle. Just some things to consider. Good luck with your build!

Billy John

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
How did you calculate this "main" amp size? max amp draw on all three amps (incl powered woofer) seems much higher than 100 amps? thanks!
I'm now using a 200 amp fuse "just in case" after adding the 2nd subwoofer, but I never had any issues with the 100 amp fuse blowing either. My system wattage total is now 2,000 w RMS, but that assumes everything is cranked all the way up and that the system is tuned in such a way as to utilize 100% of that available power. If that were the case, my max theoretical amp draw is about 160 amps, so my current 200 amp fuse is sufficient. My thoughts have always been that I would rather inconvenienty pop a fuse versus damage my electronics or start a fire on the boat due to a wire issue.

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
thank you for all this 195s audio upgrade info. I am designing an upgrade for mine. I have the stock recon 6 in cabin. in your experience would a skar 75w rms per channel (4x @4ohms) amp do a good job with the recons do you think? Then later I can add tower speaker pair and sub amp?
Yes that is enough power for the stock recon speakers. They are only rated at 50 watts rms each

gking

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Yes that is enough power for the stock recon speakers. They are only rated at 50 watts rms each
Thanks Hoyt you were the OG thread I studied!

nonissan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I am very glad I stumbled across this thread today!

Hoyt has been a Godsend in helping me build my system... it's been a very long time since I've done (car) stereo installs

But, Billy John, your build is way closer to mine than Hoyt's...

Am I understanding correctly that you are using the stock speaker wire for your cabin speakers? If so, do you know off hand what gauge it is, and are you sure it's not wired in series (I've read older Yamahas are/might be)?

Is the reason you didn't put your first sub in the compartment with the batteries and amp because you were afraid it would be muffled, or something else (would it even fit in there?)? Would you have put it in that compartment in hindsight or is it worth going to where you put it?

Why mount the amp on HDPE vs just screwing it to the floor? And, when you moved it to the vertical mount, did you screw it into the back of the compartment?

Lastly (for now), how many feet of wire did you use for the two towers? Is 50 enough?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Billy John

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I am very glad I stumbled across this thread today!

Hoyt has been a Godsend in helping me build my system... it's been a very long time since I've done (car) stereo installs

But, Billy John, your build is way closer to mine than Hoyt's...

Am I understanding correctly that you are using the stock speaker wire for your cabin speakers? If so, do you know off hand what gauge it is, and are you sure it's not wired in series (I've read older Yamahas are/might be)?

Is the reason you didn't put your first sub in the compartment with the batteries and amp because you were afraid it would be muffled, or something else (would it even fit in there?)? Would you have put it in that compartment in hindsight or is it worth going to where you put it?

Why mount the amp on HDPE vs just screwing it to the floor? And, when you moved it to the vertical mount, did you screw it into the back of the compartment?

Lastly (for now), how many feet of wire did you use for the two towers? Is 50 enough?

Thanks in advance!
Correct, I'm using the stock cabin speaker wire.

I'd have to guess it's either 14 or 16 gauge.

The cabin speakers are not run in series, I have verified this for my boat.

I didn't put the sub in the battery compartment because it will not fit in there with my Amps, batteries, etc. The sound is very good in that port side helm compartment and I was able to vent that compartment via the door. In hindsight, my only regret is not trying to fit 2 subs in that compartment or a bigger ported enclosure sub like Hoyt did.

The HDPE board allowed me to keep the amps slightly off the floor (that floor does get wet after a day of water sports on the lake, and allowed me to easily move/remove them via 4 screws total instead of 4 screws per amp. I didn't do it at the time, but I was planning on using screw in or stick on wire organizers which is easier with the board.

The amps are now screwed directly to that separator board at the back of the compartment.

50 feet would be the minimum amount of wire I would plan for for your tower speakers. It should be enough, but I'm guessing it'll be pretty close.

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I believe the stock gauge is 16. I rewired mine with 12 gauge. Over kill I know but it is what I used on the towers and since I bought 100' I replaced the stock wire after reading @Hoyt 's thread.

nonissan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Thanks gents!

I keep saying this, but, last question (for now)...

What's with the preference of putting the tower speakers on the front tower bar vs. rear?

The speakers I bought won't fit the front (Recon 6.5 towers), and I was planning to possibly upgrade in the future. Obviously I don't want to drill any extra holes, so, it would be worth it to upgrade now if the reasoning for front vs. rear bar is compelling

Thanks again, in advance!

Billy John

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Thanks gents!

I keep saying this, but, last question (for now)...

What's with the preference of putting the tower speakers on the front tower bar vs. rear?

The speakers I bought won't fit the front (Recon 6.5 towers), and I was planning to possibly upgrade in the future. Obviously I don't want to drill any extra holes, so, it would be worth it to upgrade now if the reasoning for front vs. rear bar is compelling

Thanks again, in advance!
Front bar for me since I could fish the wire down that tube and not have to drill any new holes at the bottom of the tower tube. They fit on the front bar with the tower folded as well which was a plus. I honestly just Googled a bunch of photos of 195s boats with tower speakers to see where they put them and also that's where Hoyt put his, so I just followed along.