• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2024 222SD Information

sbeassie

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm currently looking at a 2024 222SD. I've been reading the forums for a few months trying to gather information. I currently have a 2007 Stingray 195LR and it has been a great boat but I'm wanting something newer and a bit larger. I've always liked the layout and interior room in the Yamaha boats. My understanding is that the jet boats handle much better than a traditional inboard/outboard layout. As I'm sure you all know the Yamaha literature is very lacking on details. Does the Connext screen have navigation/maps capabilities? What about top speed of the 222 models with the 1.9L engines? My current boat can hit 52-53mph with two people aboard. I've seen some numbers quoted but can these boats reach the 50mph mark? Do they come with canvas bow and cockpit cover or overall cover? Is there LED interior lighting? Anything in particular I should be looking for or asking the dealer about the boat? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
The 222 SD is the top of the line 22' non-wake series boat - it's very nice. I have the older version of the top line 22', the 212S, so I can help you with some of these questions.
  • Does the Connext screen have navigation/maps capabilities?
    Yes. However it's a very basic Navionics-map based system.
  • What about top speed of the 222 models with the 1.9L engines?
    Top speed will always depend on your load out, wind, elevation, and if you're boating in a river current. I believe you should expect 45-50 at the minimum out of the 1.9l with perfect conditions.
  • My current boat can hit 52-53mph with two people aboard. I've seen some numbers quoted but can these boats reach the 50mph mark?
    Same answer as above.
  • Do they come with canvas bow and cockpit cover or overall cover?
    If you buy new, the dealer may give you the shipping cover, which is worthless for trailering. The good mooring covers are extra and run ~$800 mark. But they're REALLY nice covers and I would suggest purchasing the mooring cover. Some guys install snap-ins, but then you have to drill into your fiberglass and have snaps all over your boat.
  • Is there LED interior lighting?
    Yes, the boat has interior lights around the cabin that are controlled through the software.
  • Anything in particular I should be looking for or asking the dealer about the boat? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    I would do as much research on the boat model you want, and then ask "dumb questions" to see how much knowledge your salesperson knows about the boat. That will give you a level of trust, good or bad, in who you're dealing with. Be aware that, due to the way Yamaha franchises their brand, most new boats can only be purchased from dealers within X range of your location. It has become a buyers market again, so don't let the dealer tack on additional setup fees or other BS or try to tell you that "this boat has other people waiting on it if you don't buy today."
Not to discourage you from purchasing a jet, but some considerations before you do:
  1. Noise level in jets, even from the new 1.9s, will be more than you're used to in v8 IO. Do a test ride first to determine if you're OK with it.
  2. My 22' boat is used in pretty minimal chop. It can handle white caps and I've even done some bigger 2-3' rollers on Lake Winnebago. BUT if you're looking for something that will take heavy waves all the time, the 22' model isn't the best, and you should look for a 25' instead.

sbeassie

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The 222 SD is the top of the line 22' non-wake series boat - it's very nice. I have the older version of the top line 22', the 212S, so I can help you with some of these questions.
  • Does the Connext screen have navigation/maps capabilities?
    Yes. However it's a very basic Navionics-map based system.
  • What about top speed of the 222 models with the 1.9L engines?
    Top speed will always depend on your load out, wind, elevation, and if you're boating in a river current. I believe you should expect 45-50 at the minimum out of the 1.9l with perfect conditions.
  • My current boat can hit 52-53mph with two people aboard. I've seen some numbers quoted but can these boats reach the 50mph mark?
    Same answer as above.
  • Do they come with canvas bow and cockpit cover or overall cover?
    If you buy new, the dealer may give you the shipping cover, which is worthless for trailering. The good mooring covers are extra and run ~$800 mark. But they're REALLY nice covers and I would suggest purchasing the mooring cover. Some guys install snap-ins, but then you have to drill into your fiberglass and have snaps all over your boat.
  • Is there LED interior lighting?
    Yes, the boat has interior lights around the cabin that are controlled through the software.
  • Anything in particular I should be looking for or asking the dealer about the boat? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    I would do as much research on the boat model you want, and then ask "dumb questions" to see how much knowledge your salesperson knows about the boat. That will give you a level of trust, good or bad, in who you're dealing with. Be aware that, due to the way Yamaha franchises their brand, most new boats can only be purchased from dealers within X range of your location. It has become a buyers market again, so don't let the dealer tack on additional setup fees or other BS or try to tell you that "this boat has other people waiting on it if you don't buy today."
Not to discourage you from purchasing a jet, but some considerations before you do:
  1. Noise level in jets, even from the new 1.9s, will be more than you're used to in v8 IO. Do a test ride first to determine if you're OK with it.
  2. My 22' boat is used in pretty minimal chop. It can handle white caps and I've even done some bigger 2-3' rollers on Lake Winnebago. BUT if you're looking for something that will take heavy waves all the time, the 22' model isn't the best, and you should look for a 25' instead.
Thanks for the feedback.

I understand that load, wind, water, etc. will affect performance. I'm in south Louisiana so basically sea level with usually hot conditions. Good to know about the ability to handle light chop up to a couple of feet. My current boat is built for speed with not much freeboard and dry weight is only about 2,700 pounds. 1-2' conditions are not fun! I would certainly think a bit longer boat with more freeboard and around 4,000 pounds should handle rougher water much better.