• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2024 255XD - NEW OWNER

miggsrangel

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Hey y'all, my name is Miggs.
I just placed a deposit on a new 255XD and I am pumped! I have done a lot of research, and feel confident, but for those with a 255 or any wake series Yamaha, any recommendations, or things you wished you knew, outside of basics (learn your boat, etc)? Thanks in advance.

flyingnugget

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Sup Miggs!

Congrats on the deposit. is the boat at the marina or being shipped?

in the mean time, lurk on this forum and read everything you can. Not just about the 255 but Yamaha’s in general. Gives you a great overview of the boat and how they work. Then get on YouTube and watch a crap ton of videos. I’m a visual learner and it helped me tremendously.

Not sure if this your first boat or not but start getting your gear together ie..rope, fenders, safety gear. Make sure to get an anchor if the dealer isn’t adding it in the purchase ( they don’t come with one believe it or not 🤦🏼‍♂️).

If it’s your First boat, got to boatus.org website and take an online course about boating. They are free and excellent info. Plus it will help with your insurance rates.

Your first time out, check the weather and try and go on a weekday so the boat ramps arent so busy. Take your time. Get a pre/post launch checklist together. Only go out with wife or whoever is going to help ya with the boat for the first couple of times till you get comfy with the boat, trailering, docking etc…it’s less pressure on you cuz you’ll have enough Already.

And when you get your boat you gotta post some pics! We love pics on this forum.

Reach out with questions and use the search function. This is a GREAT forum with a ton of info and a really good group of members that will help ya out.

CONGRATS!

TommyMcK

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
In no particular order, here are a few things that sometimes come as a surprise to those new to Yamaha boats....

- It takes longer for the engine to charge the house battery than it takes to drain it when you are operating off of it while floating typically (that is, if you crank the tunes at the sandbar and then return to the dock, the house battery won't be fully recharged.) So, if you spend any significant time floating on the house battery, use an external charger when you get back to shore.

- Slow speed handling is different than with outboards or stern drives. The 255XD in particular doesn't have a rudder, so there isn't any steering control when in neutral even if you have forward motion. You get used to it very quickly, but you'll want to play with it a bunch.

- In my opinion, the DriveX system isn't a panacea. I'm still getting to know it, but don't expect that it'll be like it is in the review videos. That's not so say it isn't cool, and that aspects of it will turn out to be very useful, but it isn't magic. You may or may not find that docking is more easily accomplished using throttles and steering like you would with any other boat.

- Don't be shy about going over the boat with a fine tooth comb before delivery. I personally find that Yamaha is middle of the pack when it comes to quality control / issues....but loose hardware is somewhat common and these are most easily dealt with prior to delivery. Some dealers are great about finding these things before you do, and some not so much.

- I personally really like the Yamaha mooring covers. They are pricey, but do a great job at protecting the boat. They typically need to be ordered separately and if you don't ask about it, you may be surprised not to get it at delivery. I found that it was a couple hundred dollars cheaper ordering it from another dealer than it was from the dealer I bought the boat from.

Hope this helps.

Coult45

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
All great tips so far. I'll repeat one...take a boater safety course asap. And if you have a significant other joining you regularly on that boat, have them take the course as well.