• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

212X COMPARISON....INPUT HELP

dadofral

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
We sold our 2008 212x last week and now I am considering two newer models, both are preowned and out of state. Here is the info I have:

2013 Model
All standard equipment
144 hours
Upgraded sound system with subs and wake tower speakers
dual battery set up
Full OEM Cover
Thrust vectors
Galvanized Trailer
Located in New Jersey (12 hour drive each way)
Price $29,500

2015 Model
All standard equipment
180 hours
Sound system with sub and tower speakers (Owner says they are OK, but not top of the line)
Dual Battery Set up
No cover
Painted Trailer to match
Comes with wakeboard and wake surfboard
Keelguard
Thrust vectors
Located in Tennessee (9.5 hour drive each way)
Price $39,000

I don't mind either drive.

I know the 2013 has the value to it, but what are the main differences between these model years?
Coming from an older X I haven't kept up on the newer features....is there enough of a difference
to warrant the $9500 price difference?? Both boats are very very clean and well kept.

I'm leaning toward the 2013 at this time but figured I get some good opinions / fact here..thanks in advance for your input and help.

Not familiar with the 21 ft Yamahas do they have the 1.8 engines? Not trying to chase you of the 15 but that is the year thay got a batch of bad timing chains.

@dadofral 2012 - 2016 were same for the most part, aside from some minor interior changes I think and color and graphics. I'd go off condition more than anything thing, the 2013 has the value but it might not be in the same condition as the 2015...

Both boats are in great shape. I’ve seen many pics of each. I’m leaning toward the 2013 because of price.

Both would have the older 3-link timing chains, the change came in around 2016 MY with engines manufactured after 7/2015 - according to my sources. So it's a wash, and at any rate - a rather rare issue I wouldn't base my purchasing decisions on.
the NJ one could be a salt water boat, so it 's important to know if maintained properly as it is a lot of work not everyone is willing to do all the time, and if not properly flushed etc. things can go bad very fast.
the 2015 for 40k seems rather pricey though.

--

Both would have the older 3-link timing chains, the change came in around 2016 MY with engines manufactured after 7/2015 - according to my sources. So it's a wash, and at any rate - a rather rare issue I wouldn't base my purchasing decisions on.
the NJ one could be a salt water boat, so it 's important to know if maintained properly as it is a lot of work not everyone is willing to do all the time, and if not properly flushed etc. things can go bad very fast.
the 2015 for 40k seems rather pricey though.

--
The nj boat was properly flushed according to the owner each time. As stated before the boat looks very well taken care of. Yore right about the price too on the 2015. It will be more sales tax too.

I'd probably go for the 2013. It has the galvanized trailer, lower hours and 10k less. The extras that come with the 2015 you could buy for a couple hundred bucks anyways. Very minor differences I think from the 2013 vs 2015 other than cosmetic graphics or gelcoat.

I’d opt for the 2015 Tennessee boat. Anyone selling you something will tell you whatever you want to hear so they can maximize their sales price.

I’d always steer clear of saltwater boats. A friend on my dock bought a late model Sea Ray cruiser from FL that was in perfect shape and only a few years old. My friend learned the ugly truth about saltwater boats when he started working in the engine compartment. Salt had corroded many bolts, which often times would break when he was removing them or tightening them.

Would the 2015 have the updated hull with the articulating keel? I know that happened in 2015 on the 24ft boats.

I believe the new hull and articulating keel was implemented with the 2017 model 21’ boats.

I didn't think about it being in NJ and the salt water.... that would be a concern for me as well. Just depends on how good the previous owner was with prevention and maintenance. I would certainly make it a point to crawl all over and in the boat to see every clamp, fastener, etc but a 12 hour drive doesn't really make that possible unless you're really committed to that boat.

New hull on the 21' boats wasn't until 2017, so those two boats are going to be the same aside from graphics and such.

The owner is sending me more close up pics of the jet pump area and the engine compartment nuts and bolts. He also stated he used CRC 656 degreaser on the engines and pumps and anywhere needed religiously. Once I get the close up pics I’ll post them here.

Well, as someone who just bought a 2013 X I'd say do the 13...It seems like there is almost zero difference in the boat between the 2 years and you'll have paid 4k less than I did lol! However, mine had under 100 hours (not sure that's worth 4k but hey..) and also came with some extra goodies:) Good luck on the decision.

Not to change directions but friend has a 2012 for like 39k in atlanta limited with wedge already.

I decided to spend the extra and am getting the 2015. Salt water use changed my mind. Thanks everyone for your help and input.

So lets see some pictures.

Looking at a used 2008 212x in central PA 300 hours 24k, is it a good buy?

Back