• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

215 Engine Options?

JusFlyinBy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hi All, new here and new to the jet boat community. Just picked up a 215 Scarab yesterday.

I have to skip the pleasantries though and cut right to the chase as I'm wondering if I've been duped by my dealer. Please help!

The boat is a 2014 standard model 215, in which the dealer tells me it has been optioned with the dual 250hp Rotax. I asked them to show me how they knew it was the 500hp version and not the 400hp. They proceeded to take me to the boat and pop the engine cover and show me the stickers that say "Supercharged and Intercooled". I said that's it? Stickers is how you know which boat has which engine? You don't have this documented anywhere??? Their manager says, "Yup. The 200hp Rotax engines are only supercharged. The 250hp engines are supercharged and intercooled, hence the sticker". I went with it.

I take the boat out yesterday and am messing around, and am kind of let down by the performance kick I was suspecting from the 500hp, considering all the reviews I read. So now I start wondering if I've been lied to. I start scouring the internet for information on Scarab boats and engine options, and how to tell the difference but I can't find anything. Well, I actually found some info that suggests the only difference between the 200hp and the 250hp rotax engines is the size of the charger and cooler, so really both engines would claim charged and intercooled.

Would anyone know an easy way for me to identify whether or not I have the 500hp, or if I've been had and only have the 400hp?? Is the dealer dead right and I'm just paranoid?

Thanks for the help!!!

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@JusFlyinBy Welcome to the site!!!

To answer your question, looks like your dealer lack knowledge of the product they are selling. The 200 HP engine is intercooled. The difference is the tuning, and the amount of boost the supercharger is pushing.

Now, if you have a base 215, the 250hp from what I gather is not available as an option. You have to step up to the HO, or HO impulse to get that engine package.

Whit that said, you have a break in period that the engine computer will limit the rpm of the engine until the official 10 hour mark. But it has varied between boats. You should still be running in the low 50's with the 200hp engines.

The dealer should have given you the sticker of the boat from Scarab, it should tell what engine package you have, or you can call Scarab, and give them your vin# to find out for sure. Hope this helps!

JusFlyinBy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@JusFlyinBy Welcome to the site!!!

To answer your question, looks like your dealer lack knowledge of the product they are selling. The 200 HP engine is intercooled. The difference is the tuning, and the amount of boost the supercharger is pushing.

Now, if you have a base 215, the 250hp from what I gather is not available as an option. You have to step up to the HO, or HO impulse to get that engine package.

Whit that said, you have a break in period that the engine computer will limit the rpm of the engine until the official 10 hour mark. But it has varied between boats. You should still be running in the low 50's with the 200hp engines.

The dealer should have given you the sticker of the boat from Scarab, it should tell what engine package you have, or you can call Scarab, and give them your vin# to find out for sure. Hope this helps!
Thank you for the speedy response Scarab Mike. I took a ride to where I store my boat this morning and pulled the manuals and paperwork. Sure enough it says right in the Rotax manual that the 200 and 250HP versions are both intercooled. Should have looked there first, duh. However, no sticker for the boat to be found.

So I then contacted the dealer this morning with that information and what you provided above. The sales manager proceeded to argue with me that he has 15 years of Rotax experience and that I was reading the manual incorrectly, or that it was a typo. I asked him to provide me the boat paperwork or anything that specifies this is the 500hp setup. He said it being intercooled is all I need to know... I stated I want paperwork that says one way or the other. He then proceeded to tell me he was 100% positive that the 200hp version is not intercooled, but he will contact Scarab on Monday just to prove it to me.

I can't wait for his apology on Monday. Now I need to decide how I want to proceed with this, as I was sold this boat on false pretenses.

Ugh, I thought buying a new boat was supposed to be an exciting experience! Thanks again for your help!

JusFlyinBy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have another update if it helps. I took several pictures of the engines and found model number and information stickers on the top of the engine that stated "105.9kw", so approximately 150hp. I assume (hope) that this is common on all engines, to specify it's base value without charger and intercooler, and that in reality I wasn't actually sold the 300hp version of the boat. For those of you with the HO and optional 500hp HO, anyone willing to take a peak and let me know if yours has that too? It's right on top of the engine.

There's also tags on mine they forgot to rip off that are tied with metal wire to the engine lift points that specify "Powerhead Build" that also state 150HP. Now I'm definitely a bit nervous.

Thanks in advance to those willing to read and assist!

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You might want to also ask the chaparral forum also. They have the same engines.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

JusFlyinBy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Oh yes, sorry I missed this. Yes, turns out the engines had either the wrong covers or the wrong stickers, but regardless, they were only the 150hp engines. So even though I was sold a 500hp boat, I really only got 300. Talk about a bum deal right? Long story short, I had worked something out with the dealer to walk away with a 215HO with 400hp instead, this with a lot more options to help fill the void. It's not the 500hp I originally wanted, and it was a ridiculous amount of stress and negotiations, but it finally worked out and I've been driving the crap out of it ever since. :)

Enjoy your Yamaha. Though I really love the Scarab, they have a long way to go when it comes to fit and finish.

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I saw this exact thing happen with the SeaDoo Speedsters a few years back. There were non supercharged boats being sold with supercharged emblems and price tags. I can't believe they make you do the leg work to negotiate what you should have gotten in the first place.

JusFlyinBy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I know it Sam. I was not happy. I'm still torqued about it. It took a fight just to get to a point where I felt I was being reasonably compensated, but... I've got the boat now and enjoy it immensely, so I try and forget about those stressful weeks of my life.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm not sure if I would have gotten a lawyer involved. Do you think they did it purposely to try and screw you or were they just stupid and not knowing what they were selling. You could have got a lot more out of them, but glad you're on the water at least.

JusFlyinBy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I don't believe it was intentional. What's annoying is, I gave them ample opportunities to realize the mistake, but the sales manager just insisted on using his 'experience' instead of paperwork. I had considered a lawyer, but just imagining the hassle stresses me out. I'm not sure what I could have done anyway, as they offered to purchase the boat back, give me my old boat back and make me 'whole' again as no paperwork was submitted by the time we discovered the issue. I'm the one that stated that isn't good enough and that I need to walk out of here with a 500hp boat or equivalent. I'm guessing if they wanted, they could have hung their hat on that, that they will just buy it back and tell me to go away. Though on the principal of it all, I really did want to just bail, but being they are the only Scarab/Yamaha/Chaparral dealer for hundreds of miles and now I had great leverage over them, they had me cornered.