• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

24 ft yamaha AR 240 on Lake Michigan

Tom Kaniewski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We launch an AR240 in Waukegan Harbor and go down to Navy Pier at least once a year and usually to watch the Chicago Air and Water Show (awesome view from the water). We have never had any problems, just always adjust boat speed to wave conditions and crew.

The lightness off the Yamaha does kinda of bounce off the waves compared to going thru them like heavier boats. I added Volvo trim tabs and push the nose down, and it makes a huge difference for comfort and speed.

I usually let my friends drive out on the lake so everyone in the boat can blame them for the rough ride.
I am gonna look into those Volvo trim tabs .

Tom Kaniewski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Weight will be a factor, but I do believe the shape of the hull, especially the shape of the bow has more to do with a softer ride. Look at - lets say a Scout 210xfs center console. It weighs 1,980lbs - lets throw a 200hp Yamaha on the back - its weight still hovers around 3,000lbs - much less than your 242. Yet it cuts thru the water like butter.

I can't speak for the Great Lakes - but I do boat in a very very busy Ct lake. It can get extremely choppy on certain weekends. 2'-3' are not a an everyday thing, certainly not a welcomed site, but they are not uncommon. Those days are for coving out with friends, calm days are for playing.
My Yamaha handles big chop better than some, but not as good as others. Better than my buddies Crownie, much better than a friends big $$$ Malibu, but not as good as a Cobalt or a Bryant. And yes, as others have mentioned, we don't have trim, but you can ride the bow high using the throttles.
Good info !

DoubleThrust

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I've hated my boat on Erie both times I've taken it. Too small, and would much benefit from a rudder or "articulated keel" LOL to keep it going straight. My 0.02.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Thanks, we might have to hit you up to check out the Portage side of the lake. Sounds like fun !
And add your location to your profile so we can find you!
I will probably do a search on there for names when I do get something together!

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Late August (but before Labor Day weekend) end-of-summer bash?
That wouldn't be a bad idea. Not as cold as the Peoria run for sure!

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
We launch an AR240 in Waukegan Harbor and go down to Navy Pier at least once a year and usually to watch the Chicago Air and Water Show (awesome view from the water). We have never had any problems, just always adjust boat speed to wave conditions and crew.

The lightness off the Yamaha does kinda of bounce off the waves compared to going thru them like heavier boats. I added Volvo trim tabs and push the nose down, and it makes a huge difference for comfort and speed.

I usually let my friends drive out on the lake so everyone in the boat can blame them for the rough ride.
We probably saw you out there last year then! Chicago Air and water show is always great.
We try to hit up the Gary show as well, and THAT is another time to hit up the Portage side of things both before and AFTER the show! Gets wild waves right after the shows though!

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I've hated my boat on Erie both times I've taken it. Too small, and would much benefit from a rudder or "articulated keel" LOL to keep it going straight. My 0.02.
I do wonder how much the new hull design helps in quartering or sideways waves. For me, these boats' tendency to get pushed around at the stern in rollers would really make me question buying one for use in water where such conditions might be pretty common. Oncoming or random chop is one thing, but if you might have miles and miles of 2 - 3 foot rollers coming in at a shallow angle - or worse a following angle - keeping the desired heading would get tiresome.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I do wonder how much the new hull design helps in quartering or sideways waves. For me, these boats' tendency to get pushed around at the stern in rollers would really make me question buying one for use in water where such conditions might be pretty common. Oncoming or random chop is one thing, but if you might have miles and miles of 2 - 3 foot rollers coming in at a shallow angle - or worse a following angle - keeping the desired heading would get tiresome.
You know, it's just for these reasons that I think jet boats would be incredible as a catamaran. The inside straight walls would help keep them straight. Coming off of plane as well. Some day... Some day...Geico.jpg

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You know, it's just for these reasons that I think jet boats would be incredible as a catamaran. The inside straight walls would help keep them straight. Coming off of plane as well. Some day... Some day...View attachment 33982
Very interesting thought...

Note that the Lake Express high speed Milwaukee, WI to Muskegon, MI ferry is a jet powered catamaran.

And it does not have the squirrelly tail problem (at least not to my knowledge - I have never been on it in heavy following seas.)

large_Ferry.jpg

JTC1016

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I boat on Muskegon Lake a lot and whenever I see this ferry coming in I always think how fun it would be to drive under it. This thing can move too. Watch out if you're in the channel when it comes through because it flies, no wake or not.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I boat on Muskegon Lake a lot and whenever I see this ferry coming in I always think how fun it would be to drive under it. This thing can move too. Watch out if you're in the channel when it comes through because it flies, no wake or not.
It is a blast to ride on it up on the deck on a calm, sunny day. It really does move.
I have heard, but never personally had the pleasure, that it is absolutely torture on heavy sea days. They go about the same speed, glass or 6 - 8 footers. They have to in order to stay on schedule.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

JTC1016

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It would be fun to ride across in a YJB behind it sometime.