• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

**24' JetWash Deflector Safety Recall**

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Good afternoon everyone,

Over the last three days I've been personally calling all of our 24' JetWash Deflector recipients (the ones I have on my report which could be missing a few names), notifying recipients about a potential safety issue associated with the 24' JetWash Deflector. Apparently during the process of moving from prototype to production product some of the dimensions on the product changed and our built in tolerances somehow were diminished.

We had a customer contact us early this week reporting that he'd felt a momentary binding in the steering wheel while using the JetWash Deflector with his Thrust Vector Wake (He was not using Yamaha's Booster). He stated that he felt like it was there and then it was not there. He later discovered that the tip of his Thrust Vector Wake fin was making contact with the lower portion of the JetWash Deflector's lowermost tab, when pivoted all the way over to one side. I immediately asked him to verify if his fins were adjusted correctly, which they were. I then also verified on a local boat here that his report was accurate. We immediately issued a complete recall of the 24' JetWash Deflector.

We'll be sending out a bulletin on Monday to all customers who've been contacted to give more detailed info about what we're going to do to handle this. If you received the new 24' specific JetWash Deflector and did not receive personal phone call from me, please reach out to me via PM, with your phone number and I will contact you asap. I am personally handing this and am making this my highest priority.

Following the email blast with info, we'll be sending out call tags to all those who received 24' JetWash Deflectors. This will allow us to get them back here. Modify them. Ensure their proper function and also to address a few other suggested improvements while we're at it.

Some are going to ask why we did not do a full beta test on this product prior to its launch and my response is that we had every intention to do just that, but with Covid, being short staffed and our sales exceeding our wildest forecasts, we simply did not have the bandwidth to pull it off. I had promised a spring to early summer delivery and many had been waiting since mid 2019. I understand the beta test should have been done. It was not. We own that and we're doing the right thing to remedy it quickly. We immediately issued the recall upon hearing of the first possible safety concern.

Some have asked for a timeline and my response has been that I do not have one at this time. I will be working quickly on this and it will be my highest priority, but this sort of thing will include a modification, a test and possible re-test. Then sending out beta testers. Waiting on their response. Then making adjustments and retesting again. Followed by at least 3 enhancements that we feel are needed based on suggestions received during phone calls this week. So as you can tell it will take some time but it will be our top priority.

For anyone who would like more info please feel free to PM me or email at will@jetboatpilot.com. I'm available pretty much around the clock.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not affected, but have some of his other products. What @buckbuck said... Mistakes happen; how we react to them defines our character.

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@JetBoatPilot
Is this the unit which attaches to the ladder?
Could you include a picture of the device.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yes it's the black on on our website.20200522_162336.jpg