• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

242 Limited S Top Speed

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I bought a 2019 Yamaha 242 Limited S E-Series with 65 hours on it. I didn't meet the owner because it was through consignment at a dealer. The boat was left in salt water for a few seasons and was bottom painted. The boat looks surprisingly good like the owner took very good care of the boat. The boat did 42mph when I bought it and the RPM's were 7200 and 7500. I changed the spark plugs. The pumps and tunnels had some growth so I cleaned the tunnels and inspected the impellers. Liners and impellers look good. Boat gets on plane really fast. Now the boat is doing 7500 and 7500 RPM's and its doing 45mph with 3 people. And it did 42mph with 9 people. Is this to be expected with bottom paint? My search is showing 50-52mph from the factory, but I don't know if it's the larger bimini (equipped with Limited S) and bottom paint that are slowing it. Worth noting that it was windy that day we did 45mph with 3 people. Also assuming that the speedometer is correct because the E-Series is equipped with GPS.

Last edited:
I have a 2018 242LS-E and my bet is that big @ss bimini is causing drag. I haven't tested this theory yet but that's what I'm betting on.

I have a 2018 242LS-E and my bet is that big @ss bimini is causing drag. I haven't tested this theory yet but that's what I'm betting on.

What's your top speed? I think that you have the same bimini as me.

I just edited my original post. I forgot to mention the boat was left in salt water and the bottom was painted.

Another thought is that I think that I can get an additional 100-200 rpm if I do the ribbon delete. Maybe is worth the effort.

I just bought it about a month ago and I haven't had it at WOT yet.

My 212LS won’t go 50 but I’m at 1500ft elevation. Same engines and smaller boat.

I don’t have the huge bimini on my boat but the bimini does slow it down for sure.

If the bottom paint isnt real smooth it will slow it down for sure. But that bimini will also scrub off a few mph

My SE gets about 50 or so with just me. 5 adults and 2 kids and full gas gets about 47-48.

Back