• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

242LS nozzle deflector snapped off

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
(sorry for the double post on FB and here)... Figured the information should be shared in multiple locations once I find out the cause.

So... Made it out on the lake today. Started playing around on the water and my port throttle decided to start freaking out. So I kill it and have a look in the 50 degree water. The deflector nozzle came lose from the pump (bottom bolt broke the head off and the top bolt is in place). The cast aluminum of the deflector nozzle on the top bolt slot broke (bolt was fine and in tact).

Now for the big issue. When this happened I was going 40MPH and my fins decided that the nozzle needed to spin so my reverse gate cable snapped. I had to get in the water and try to take off the steering linkage so I could pull the nozzle fins and reverse gate off and come to find that the fin springs were in the way.

I was able to tie the nozzle and fins to the ladder in such a way that it stopped spinning us in circles and make it back in.

What on earth could have caused this!!?!? We didn't hit anything.

I was in a turn when I got the throttle control feedback. I am not really sure if I had my TV XL's locked down or not since they automatically flip up, but I can't imagine they were down as I went into the turn shortly after coming off a plane (but still going at a pretty good rate).

I dropped her off at the dealer on the way home from the lake (since I have a trip coming up really soon and am traveling a bit).

Since I have another broken nozzle (had a seized bolt strip off taking my cobra's and putting on my TVXL's so it was just laying around waiting to get re-tapped), I took a picture of it and illustrated where the break was. The piece that broke off was nowhere to be found.

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Bruce added a comment on FB:
Could you post pictures? It is hard to imagine this happening without hitting anything. Were you in a turn? Do your fins lock down?

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I can't think of anything that would cause that except a bad casting.

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I was thinking along the same lines. The only other thing I could hypothesize would be if somehow the bottom (threaded with loktite) bolt may have come loose and worked its way out in two very short outings (like 45 minutes in the water each time) and then I put pressure on the top connection (though I would have expected the bolt to shear off before an aluminum cast would break) when I went into the turn.

Skysurfer2010

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I hope you took your TVs off before dropping it off at the dealer. I wouldn't want to give them any excuse to try and place blame on anything other than a manufacturing defect.

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I didn't. We will see what they say :). I could see the circustances of me taking off Cobras which have a plate that threads in through that bottom hole and maybe I am supposed to use epoxy instead of loktite red to put the bottom bolt back in. End of the day I just want root cause so I know how to prevent it in the future. It's not the fins that caused the problem. There was some type of double failure.

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That said. I hope they don't say it was just the fins. That would be sucky and a misrepresentation of the issue since so many people have fins.

Skysurfer2010

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I 100% agree with you. I just hope you have a good dealer that doesn't try to place blame to get out of warranty work.