• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

255 Trolling Motor Mount

BeauSko

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have decided to go with the Minn Kota Riptide Terrova Quest (new brushless motor). I know the factory mount isn’t strong enough. I have seen many people using the Shuttleslide mounts. Other than those mounts being more beefy, is it NECESSARY to have the trolling motor “slide?” In other words, is it possible to mount, and still get the clearance necessary to deploy the motor, and not have any clearance issues?

I have reached out to Shuttleslide and they said I would need the SS-7-EXD mount: SS-7-EXD – ShuttleSlide along with the EXD-REQ8 to attach the mount to since this particular motor is wider and heavier: EXD-REQ8 – ShuttleSlide

If I went with this option, I would need the MKA-56 quick release mount (I definitely want the quick release option).

The other option is to use Minn Kota’s reinforcement plate: https://minnkota.johnsonoutdoors.com/us/shop/accessories/trolling-motor/boat-deck-reinforcement-kit-mka-58 and attach the motor and MKA-56 quick release to that. I think I prefer this option which takes me back to my original question…is the “slide” necessary?

Thoughts?!

MilesPrower

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
If you don't need the sliding feature, I'd recommend just going down to your local steel fabricator and asking them to make you a stainless-steel plate that sits on top of the included mount to prevent the mount from bending. The fabricator can match up all the holes, and you can attach a standard Minn Kota quick-release plate.

Come to think of it, I think one of the vendors on this forum sells a plate to do exactly this.

I have a ShuttleSlide on my 255 FSH, and I feel like the sliding feature isn't necessary. I never hit pilings, docks, or whatnot with my trolling motor, given the weird location of the motor. If I had to do it all over again, I'd just go with the stationary plate.

MilesPrower

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I think it's Cycle Springs Powersports that makes the mounting plate. You might want to call them.

Also, another (crazy expensive) option is to go with a Sea Swivel mount. The way the bow is angled on our boats, it's a little cumbersome to pull the motor up, if your kid is your fishing mate. I imagine the Sea Swivel would make pulling the motor easier, and it looks like it would have no problem providing the overhang necessary to clear the rub rail at the weird bow angle.

BeauSko

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks for your input @MilesPrower ! Hmm, I kinda like the idea of getting a plate made to go over top of the included mount. Seems like that would be a much cleaner set up. One of my hesitations with going with shuttleslide was that it just seems so bulky. The motor i got is a little wider n heavier than the previous models so I’m not even sure anyone (in this forum) has much experience with it.

When corresponding with shuttleslide, who have superb customer service, they sent me a pic of the set up that would be identical to mine…as far as the mount goes. They have the instinct motor mounted, mine is the terrova. It doesn’t look too bad and gives me slightly more flexibility with placement.
1717251857383.jpeg

MilesPrower

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The ShuttleSlide folks do indeed offer great customer service! Either way, I'm sure you'll be fine with the heavier motor.

The weight of the motor is insignificant to the torque that the motor's long arm exerts on the mount when the motor is all full throttle. My ShuttleSlide actually twists (like a Twizzler candy) when the motor is trying to turn the boat hard to one side. The ShuttleSlide always rebounds back to its original shape, but the first time I saw the mount twist, I was certain it would remain permanently misshapen.

BeauSko

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
😬😬😬really? Aw man, makes me nervous that it twists like that lol.

May have to look into a reinforcement plate for the original mount like u mentioned.

AlpharettaRK

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
FWIW - make sure to include the support for the shaft when stowed. My dealer installed troller on factory plate and I have not noticed the twisting others have. However the head of the motor bounces wildly and can’t be good unless you add the little support above the cleat in this pic. It was not included with the motor and was ordered later.
cheers
IMG_39401.jpeg

BeauSko

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
FWIW - make sure to include the support for the shaft when stowed. My dealer installed troller on factory plate and I have not noticed the twisting others have. However the head of the motor bounces wildly and can’t be good unless you add the little support above the cleat in this pic. It was not included with the motor and was ordered later.
cheers
View attachment 221137
Good call on this. I just checked and the new motors (72" and longer) actually come with a stabilizer kit which serves the same purpose. Pretty sweet!

AlpharettaRK

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
That's same one I have I think - it's cut to the height you need.