• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

8.5 Fender overkill?

Huskerjetboat

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I ordered and received four 8.5" Fenders for my SX240. These things seem HUGE. The fenders I have been using were probably like 5.5" ones I got from Menards on sale. Are these big ones overkill for a 24' boat? I do not tie up with other boats at this time, but may some time down the road. Primarily got these for an out of town boating trip to an unfamiliar lake and dock where the boat will be spending nights. not a slip dock a side tie up dock. Just curious what my fellow jet boaters think. thanks!

I'm pretty sure it's the Medium. I was out in the boat this weekend and couldn't find my pump so I just blew it up by mouth. Took less than 10 seconds.

Your fellow boaters will love you for those fenders when you tie up. Keep them.

Our previous boat was bigger than our current AR230. We had the 8.5 inch fenders for that and just brought them with us to our new boat. We use them all the time and have never had an issue. I can honestly say that I have never thought to myself "man I wish I had smaller fenders".

As everyone else has already said, I suggest you keep them. You will be happy to have them. The only downside is storage if you keep them inflated, but our boats have plenty of storage areas.

They are the proper size unless you dock in a skinny slip. One 8.5 on the stern and one mid-ship is really all you need for most docks. Tie your dock lines so that the bow is held OFF of the dock and no 3rd fender is needed. I use a 1/8" cord to tie my fenders on, this allows you to use the same cleats for the dock lines.

I carry 10 of those. :winkingthumbsup"

I use them primarily to fend off lake lice when they get too close. They make a great impact.

I've gone through about 30 so far since we've owned this boat.

In reading all these replies I get the idea that you guys use them differently? :rolleyes:

Back