• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

A new USB charger with LED voltmeter

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So, first, I got a new keyboard. Therefore I am back to posting more. :)

Second, got this for Christmas:

IMG_20181229_102548.jpg

I think it is this one: https://www.amazon.com/Rydonair-Aluminum-Charger-Digital-Voltmeter/dp/B07DBXRSRC

Install was simple. Did need to round out the hole before putting it in. Then just a matter of plugging it in the back and tightening the ring.

I plugged my phone (Pixel) into it. It did not fast charge, so something is not compatible there. No big shock. But when I plugged it in, the voltage went down to like 13.8. Unplugged, it went back up to 14.4 or so. Again, not tragic. I wasn't planning on using this for precise measurements, but I was struck at the swing from just plugging in my phone. Note I was in my stall, plugged into the charger, so that may have had an effect, too.

Oh, and a neat feature: that cover I am holding up has a little cutout. So if you have nothing plugged into the USB, you can still see the voltage.

Downside: if you plug a USB into the top port, it is difficult to see the voltmeter. The USB you plugged in blocks the view from the helm.

Hi, I have something very similar installed on mine (did it myself as well). Modern phones like your Pixel take quite a bit of power (if it's available). 18W in your case (9V * 2A = 18W). "QC3" means Quick Charge 3 and it should definitely be capable of providing those requirements to fast charge your phone (9V, 2A is in the spec). So assuming it follows the spec, your phone should be fast charging regardless if it says so or not. You can install apps that measure current/voltage input as it's charging so you can see if it actually takes the full power from your adapter or not. Something to try if you're very curious, but yes, it will charge just fine and will certainly have no issues maintaining a charge if you keep your phone for Navionics, music, etc. I do all the time.

The drop in voltage is normal. When under load, the battery will drop its real time voltage but should revert back assuming it hasn't been depleted. I like mine a lot because if I'm using power for music while at the beach, I can monitor the battery voltage to make sure I don't push it too far. I don't yet have two batteries in my boat and haven't felt the need to based on my personal requirements. I also carry a small jump pack in case something goes wrong.

It's a nice little addition that can be very useful... in my case, I had no USB ports at all, so this was a requirement!

Attachments

• IMG_20180506_125429.jpg
    IMG_20180506_125429.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 33
If it is really a QC 3.0 usb port that is really cool. I am dubious about the 18w 3.0 spec this port claims given not only what @tdonoughue experienced with his pixel but the green color of the ports which signifies 2.0 where orange would signify 3.0. That said 2.0 should still be 10-12 watts and far better than the old 1.0 at 5 watts. I am also dubious about the waterproof claim on these things but if you need a usb port this seems as good if not better than the others out there.

Yeah, agreed, it may be claiming more than it can produce in this case... but regardless, as you said, it's just fine for charging at "regular speed" lol Besides, I like my boat rides to be long... plenty of time to charge!

I regularly have issues with that size USB fast charging the Pixel, even with alleged fast chargers. I have found that if I use USB-C all the way through, it is happy and fast charges. So I wasn't really surprised that this one did not fast charge. I totally agree it is sufficient for normal purposes. As long as it can keep some juice on it, I can run the Navtronics, etc. and all is good.

Back