• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

A tight fit

MNdrifter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I rented a slip for the season. The marina wanted to put me in a 9' wide slip that has fingers on each side. Since the boat is 8.5' wide I insisted on getting the 9.5' slip. Even with the wider slip, I can't get into it stern first without someone on the dock guiding me with a line. It is very awkward trying to see the back corners while at the controls.

Will this get easier as I get better at handling the jets? Is 9.5' still too narrow? Do others slide into their slips hassle free?

That's still pretty tight IMO. 6" on either side pretty much assures you that you will get some sort of rub rash on the hull even with slim fenders. Hopefully the water remains very calm and the lines will keep you centered.
There are several different ways to tie up depending on the slip and the cleat placement. Here are some examples:

http://www.boatingmag.com/how-to-rig-slip

The slips that we rent are about the same as you described. I usually have somebody step off the bow onto the port side of the slip. Then I reposition and get the bow in, step off on the stbd side and walk it in together.

I agree, 9.5' is narrow. But it is doable, you will just have to be vigilant at protecting your boat. Your going to blow a fender occasionally, and probably get a little rash. I have used those slips for rental a number of times too. But if I were getting a permanent slip, I would pay for more ease and room, with 10' wide as a minimum. It might be nice too, to have a 30' deep slip and build out or put a floating patio deck in to back into.

Could you zip tie some guide or sight sticks to the inside corners? Like the sticks you see on the side of roads for snow plows. They are barber pole color seems like

I definitely wouldn't feel comfortable w/a slip that small...I'm assuming that your leaving it in the slip and it's not just a "weekend rental"? If so I don't see how you will be able to avoid rubbing on the dock/getting scratches on the boat

You might consider getting dock corner protectors. That way if you catch a corner, it's padded, I'm actually looking at installing a set this weekend. My wife is talking about taking the boat out with her friends this summer, I probably need to get a box anchor for her as well....

My dock is 10' wide...I have no challenges getting in...until the wind kicks up.

After one of our many trips out, I received one scratch. You may want to look into some dock wheels as protection.

You might consider getting dock corner protectors. That way if you catch a corner, it's padded, I'm actually looking at installing a set this weekend. My wife is talking about taking the boat out with her friends this summer, I probably need to get a box anchor for her as well....
If my wife told me that, I'd wrap my boat in bubble wrap!

If my wife told me that, I'd wrap my boat in bubble wrap!

i don't think my wife would be able to pull a box anchor up after it's good and set. Hell I have a hard time when it's filled with mud and sand!

I'm very worried... We may head out in the morning just so I can do her "check ride". Depends on the weather, we've had a lot of thunderstorms the last few days.

Back