• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Advice on Used Boat - First Time Buyer - Round 2

TimeOnTheWater07

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Long time reader, second time poster and hoping for some input again on purchasing a used boat. My target boat is an SX190. I wanted a 2019 (pre-pandemic) but found a 2020 for sale a bit closer to home and took a look at it about a week ago. I’m not sure if the current owner’s know what they have, just want it gone before winter, the market took a dive, or they are trying to pass off a potential problem child. Last weekend, I got a text that they had an offer of 25k and I countered at 26k and they accepted (I’ll never know if the other offer actually existed). While I’d like to believe it’s a good deal, I’m a skeptic and put a few caveats on my offer while giving a nominal deposit to hold it. We are scheduled to go for a test drive this Saturday and the owner is going to put it on the trailer for me to inspect it. If I go forward, we won’t be able to close until they get the official title from the state of Michigan which they ordered over a week ago, so that’s buying me some time to decide.

Boat details: Just under 50 hours, but has been kept in a wet slip for the 2 summers they’ve owned it. I could not inspect the hull or any pump components while it was in the water. The seats and deck looked in good shape except for some scratches on the back of the passenger seat. The rub rail has a smash in it by the driver’s side and hopefully I’ll get to see it out of the water to get a better idea of the damage. There some noticeable stuff like the gasket/weather stripping on the windshield door looks to be coming off, but the dash looked good and all electronics worked. The shift lever felt fine in both directions. The owner started it in its slip, but we didn’t go for a ride during the original visit. The engine started right up and sounded fine to me / idled as I would expect. Overall, it looks a little worn (paint decals, etc), but has been outside and covered for the past 2 summers.

Pictures attached for review.

I’m looking for thoughts and feedback based on the limited info provided and the price accepted. Does this seem too good to be true and is my offer considered a good deal for nearing the end of the season? What should I focus on during the test drive and hull/pump inspection out of the water? Same question for the trailer, which I believe is the standard painted steel. How concerned should I be that this boat sat in the water for 2 summers? I know a lot of people on this forum say that Yamaha’s aren’t built for staying in the water for long periods of time.

I’ll post an update of how things go on Saturday.

2022-08-11_19.19_IMG_7900.JPG2022-08-11_19.19_IMG_7904.JPG2022-08-11_19.19_IMG_7905.JPG2022-08-11_19.19_IMG_7906.JPG2022-08-11_19.20_IMG_7919.JPG2022-08-11_19.21_IMG_7920.JPG2022-08-11_19.21_IMG_7921.JPG2022-08-11_19.23_IMG_7923.JPG2022-08-11_19.29_IMG_7928.JPG293644482_5246230898799298_2127187993180175480_n.jpg294169983_7698472113558678_1335711293075151220_n.jpg295628513_5563228267077114_5609831775051289528_n.jpg

Just my opinion.... seems below market price, which is good, but for a 2 year old boat, it looks kinda rough!

it was in a wet slip for two years? I would have some concern about Zebra Mussels up in the cooling system if it sat a lot and not driven regularly. Pay close attention to the flow form the pissers during the on lake drive.

Just my opinion.... seems below market price, which is good, but for a 2 year old boat, it looks kinda rough!

I would disagree on the rough part. First let's set expectations correctly, this boat could easily be approaching 3 years old. Yes it has some cuts/scuffs but nothing too major. Their slip looks pretty tight so I would venture the exterior ones happened when pulling into slip. Even then, the only thing even concerning to me is the rub-rail gash. That has a pretty hard hit. I would see if you can crawl to the backside of where it was hit to check for any fiberglass damage. I doubt it but good to check. Not sure what the white stuff on the seats are, I see one cut which looks like a piss-poor DIY fix. A professional could hide that cut for $100.

As far as sitting in water, I don't have too many concerns if it's fresh water. As mentioned, make sure the pissers run strong. On a test drive, I would push the boats to its limits to try to overheat the engines. If there is build up on the bottom of the boat, use it as negotiation to drive the price lower. $1000 you can get the inside and outside looking brand new on this boat.

If I could find that boat for 25k within 500 miles, I would buy it.

If it runs good and doesn't overheat, buy it! Just make sure the bottom is good and they didn't beach it. Replace the rub rail and the seat and get it detailed. You'll be in it for well under 30K! You can sell it for 35K.

The others have given you good advice. I'm gonna give you some bad advice, lol.

Jokes aside, what I will say isnyounshoukd be sure the size works for you. A 19 foot.boat isn't exactly spacious, and depending on your use might be too small. While you'd be getting into this.boat right, if you decide your use is gonna be taking your family of 4 out plus sometimes another frienss family, your kids friends, etc... 19 foot will be too small really quick. Hexk, it might be too small for a family of 4 depending on how much stuff you bring.

The only good advice I have is buy your 2nd boat first. Don't test the waters with a small boat to see if you like it, rent a boat for that. When you buy, buy bigger than you think you need, because a boat you thinknis the right size is always too small.

I would disagree on the rough part. First let's set expectations correctly, this boat could easily be approaching 3 years old. Yes it has some cuts/scuffs but nothing too major. Their slip looks pretty tight so I would venture the exterior ones happened when pulling into slip. Even then, the only thing even concerning to me is the rub-rail gash. That has a pretty hard hit. I would see if you can crawl to the backside of where it was hit to check for any fiberglass damage. I doubt it but good to check. Not sure what the white stuff on the seats are, I see one cut which looks like a piss-poor DIY fix. A professional could hide that cut for $100.

As far as sitting in water, I don't have too many concerns if it's fresh water. As mentioned, make sure the pissers run strong. On a test drive, I would push the boats to its limits to try to overheat the engines. If there is build up on the bottom of the boat, use it as negotiation to drive the price lower. $1000 you can get the inside and outside looking brand new on this boat.

If I could find that boat for 25k within 500 miles, I would buy it.
All good points, and I dont necessarily disagree. I was just saying that the physical condition a boat less than 3 yrs old would make me a little more diligent. My boat is going on 7 years old and in much better shape than the boat in question.

Definitely appreciate the feedback and things to look for. Continuing to add to my checklist.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed all the things that drive OCD people (like myself) crazy.

Totally understand the viewpoint of buying the 2nd boat first, but for us a 19ft should work. A boat would be our next step after having a '06 Waverunner for 15 years and making very good use of it. We've considered another Waverunner instead, but got so busy this summer I didn't seriously look for one. My concerns for a bigger/twin engine boat are around storage, maintenance, and general costs. I know many say "if you're concerned about costs, don't buy a boat", but here in Michigan I don't want to over invest in a 3-4 month season and I don't think we'd have guests frequently enough to justify a bigger investment. Plus, this boat would be trailered.

The wear wouldn’t dissuade me from buying, but it does say to me that there may not have been a lot of care in the use and maintenance of the boat. I would be diligent in regard to the mechanical inspection and records of service.

@HangOutdoors Thoughts or things to look for in a MI wet slipped boat?

Last edited:
Seems like a fair price to me. Good luck on Saturday.

Jim

Definitely appreciate the feedback and things to look for. Continuing to add to my checklist.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed all the things that drive OCD people (like myself) crazy.

Totally understand the viewpoint of buying the 2nd boat first, but for us a 19ft should work. A boat would be our next step after having a '06 Waverunner for 15 years and making very good use of it. We've considered another Waverunner instead, but got so busy this summer I didn't seriously look for one. My concerns for a bigger/twin engine boat are around storage, maintenance, and general costs. I know many say "if you're concerned about costs, don't buy a boat", but here in Michigan I don't want to over invest in a 3-4 month season and I don't think we'd have guests frequently enough to justify a bigger investment. Plus, this boat would be trailered.

@paulmys If the boat is in Southern Eastern Lower Michigan I can help you inspect the boat.

Closing this thread out, I ended up buying the boat yesterday. It turns out that it's a model year 2021, not 2020 as it was listed.
Will ensure a good oil change, inspection, and winterizing take place this fall at a dealer, then plan on doing it myself going forward.
A good vacuum and wipe-down and should be in very solid shape for the rest of the season. The pictures made the damage look a lot worse than it was. A few minor scratches, but nothing I haven't seen worse on other boats we looked at.

Thanks for the feedback and tips. Looking forward to getting out on the water and learning more from this forum.

Congrats!

Congratulations! That's a great price for a 2021 boat. :winkingthumbsup"

Jim

It's ok to share more pictures. Just saying. Congratulations!

Back