• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Aftermarket impellers for scarab

John Carnevale

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I have a 2015 scarab HOI with twin 250's. I have to replace 1 impeller due to damage but found that the factory impeller is as much as 2 aftermarket impellers (solas). So I am thinking about replacing both factory impellers and wear rings with a/m impellers. That said, I can't get an answer on whether or not the port and starboard impellers are different.......scarab has 2 different part numbers but the dealer claims no difference and solas has no idea. Anyone have experience with this???

If scarab has 2 different part numbers listed then I would think they are different in pitch

Doesnt the shop manual indicate the specs of each impeller? The yamaha manual does but only states one pitch number for each (not two to complete the range for each progressivley pitched impeller) but they are only less than two degrees apart between impellers.

If the part numbers are different the impellers likely are as well like @Neutron stated. That is my opinion anyway. The best way to tell is to have a shop measure the pitch of each impeller unless you can do it yourself with the help of some youtube how to videos or a friend who already knows how. @swatski has a lot of experience with this, maybe he will chime in.

@John Carnevale I would say that going with aftermarket impellers you may be opening a can of worms.

Even if you know the pitch of the OEM impellers, it means nothing with a different impeller brand or model as the shape and length of the blades will be different along with the "root" size etc. If Solas does not support your model, you will have to guess and may end up needing to repitch, likely more than once, before you get those impellers to work well.

I'm thinking maybe replacing the damaged impeller with the OEM part and then getting two new (plastic inserts?) wear rings would be the (safe-er) way to go?
And it ultimately could turn out to be less expensive, too. Bending impellers can be fun, but it can also be frustrating as heck.

--

Last edited:
I sucked some rocks up with my 195 and replaced the stock impeller with a Solas (It was an inexpensive alternative to stock). In fairness, I did the replacement myself, but I'm not impressed with the fit and clearance. I lost some oomph, 4mph, and it cavitates just a little bit out of the hole. I'll be taking it back out in the spring to put a stock impeller and ring back in. It would definitely cause problems running an aftermarket next to a stock setup in a twin jet.

Call IMPROS and see what they recommend. They work mostly for jet skis, but if anybody knows , it's them. http://impros.com/

Wasn't Solas the manufacturer that had impellers cracking with some ultimately exploding and destroying pumps?

As if i recall that was a solas impeller that was modified for use, i dont think it is a common or widespread problem with solas impellers generally.

Last edited:
Hey all, I had both my jet pumps off (2015 Scarab 255 with twin 200 HP 4tecs) and then realized that the two impellers had two different part #'s. The part #'s on the casting are 267000750 and 267000752 stamped into the impellers. On the housing of the pump with impeller 267000752 it appears that the previous owner or whoever last worked on it had written port in sharpie but I swore I took it off the starboard side. In any case I had ordered a rebuild kit from Bobby at Inland Sports who is fantastic by the way and he told me the side does matter. One motor is programmed to assist in take off and the other handles top speed so they pitch them differently. Maybe everyone knew this but this was the first I had heard of this. In any case I am going to put the one labeled port on the port side and see if I notice and difference. In addition quite often when I am idling I only have one motor on to cut down on noise at low speed but if the two impellers have a slightly different pitch than one motor should perform differently then the other at the same RPM. Because my impellers aren't perfect its probably hard to get any hard data from my test.

My understanding is that the impellers on the twin engines are both the same, but different from single-engine Scarabs. I had both mine off last weekend, but did not check...I was focused on fixing another issue. My understanding is the pitch is different because the twins don't need to work as hard to move the boat forward at the same rate of acceleration as a single. More torque? Understanding the dynamics of how twin jets work to produce straight forward thrust is a bit beyond my paygrade. I have not heard the theory that one is for take off and one for top speed, but that may be the case.

My impellers have two different numbers stamped into them and crowley marine shows two different part numbers for starboard and port impellers but they also have a part number for starboard/port impeller like you could have one that you just put into both engines?

1591195726768.png

Does anyone have any idea on this? I asked my Scarab dealer and they quoted me $336 and gave me the part number 0462235 which matches up to the starboard/port? Anyone try putting in the less expensive ones that look like they are different depending on the size?

I sucked some rocks up with my 195 and replaced the stock impeller with a Solas (It was an inexpensive alternative to stock). In fairness, I did the replacement myself, but I'm not impressed with the fit and clearance. I lost some oomph, 4mph, and it cavitates just a little bit out of the hole. I'll be taking it back out in the spring to put a stock impeller and ring back in. It would definitely cause problems running an aftermarket next to a stock setup in a twin jet.
Same experience to report here. To make it short, I previously had a 195 with single 200HP. Replaced stock with a stainless Riva 14/17r and gained 4MPH.

I now have a 255 Open ID with twin 200HP engines. Replaced both star/port both with stainless Riva 14/17r's. Should equal 8 MPH gain right? The novice in me was very wrong. I lost 8. Boat is only running 46 at WOT (and four adults). Previously ran 54 even.

Back on the search for the right pitch (for the 255 with twin 200HP) in stainless. Don't make the same mistake I did. Check first by later. Any help or experience appreciated. Thanks

Back