• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

All drain plugs question

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was wondering what everyone does with their drain plugs throughout the boat. I keep all mine in unless I'm washing inside the boat after a day of tubing in salt water (ski locker and engine bay). When I pull the stern drain plug we do not get any water coming out unless we were tubing and swimming. Then, I get about a half cup.

BoaterBee

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We were wondering that too...for sure the transom plug comes out, we will leave the rest in place (especially that one in the engine compartment!!!) that was a tough one to get in...

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes I always leave out the drain plug. When we leave the ramp, the plug stays out until we go boating again.

Boat Crazy

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For me boat in water, plugs in. Boat out of water, plugs out.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Same here. Boat in water, plugs in, boat out, plugs out.

An interesting fact on my 242x today. The floor water sack didn't drain completely and was probably 1/8 full. So I held the bad up and pumped most of the remaining water out of the bag with the ballast pump. I then removed the bag so that I could leave that compartment open under the storage cover while the boat sits in the lake for the next 10 days.

When I unclipped the connection hose, some water flowed out of the sack and also the hose into the storage compartment...About a gallon or so. Well, rather than remove it with a microfiber towel in 90 degree weather I decided to just pull the plug at the bottom of the compartment with the thought of having it drain into the lower bilge and have the bilge pump it out. That theory fell apart when the bottom of the center locker is apparently lower than the bilge pump as only about 1/2 of the water flowed out of the compartment before it found equilibrium.

The question then became what to do to get that water out? Starting it up and idling the mile through the marina and out to the lake wasn't an option due to time. Neither was using the microfiber towel. The next-best option..Get ten two friends who were with me to come stand on the lower swim platform. Sure enough, that was enough to raise the bow an inch or so and let that water flow back and down to the pump.

Morale of the story...It doesn't take much water to start filling into that storage locker. Keep the plugs in.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Matt Phillips in order to get it out of the ski locker you will need to also open up the fuel tank and engine compartment drains. The drain system works like this: ski locker drains to->fuel tank drains to->engine ....where it then can go to the bilge/pump.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks...if worse comes to worse, I may just have to take it out on the lake and drive it around...just to make sure the bow is higher than the stern do it all runs back. I believe 2-3 hours should do the trick...just to make sure it ALL out of there!

;)

ptwb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 230 so don't know exactly what the setup is on the 240s, but for me, in our 230, I keep all the interior plugs out. This was the 1st boat I had seen with so many interior plugs. I installed a backup bilge pump and if water finds its way into the boat, I want it to quickly find a way to the bilge to get pumped out. 2 of the plugs in the 230s do not even really make sense, the 2 at the bottom of the engine tray. The engine mount tray lip is so small, really, water is going to fill up and spill over anyways, so what's the point? But what does happen is it rains or people are wet, whatever, and in that small drop between the rear seats, water overflows into the engine compartment and I would sometimes find water (I have no engine leaks) under the engines and all the plug was doing was keeping it there now constantly splashing against the bottom of the engine.

When we bought our boat (used), it had literally just gone on the market, and from just a few days rain, even with the rear drain plug out, the floor locker and fuel tank area, etc were full of water and there was water under the engines, all most likely from rain and all because the interior plugs were in.

If something major happens, at least in a 230, IMO, all those plugs are not going to make a difference. People talk about blowing a plug and water quickly making it almost to the top of the engines, well, again on a 230, water would already be spilling into the fuel tank area via that huge notch on the port side for the fuel fill hose. Do the plugs have the potential to maybe slow things down? Sure, but IMO, barely. If water is coming in faster than it can get pumped out, it's going to happen. What would be nicer, if only it was easier to do, would be to change the fuel tank one to a scupper type. I wish there was a way to change the floor locker also to a scupper type.

Water routinely makes it into the boat, whether it's rough waves, or even rain. I want that water to get to the pumps to get removed. Last thing I want is a torrential down pour or a huge wave and my floor locker is full and water is in the fuel tank area and it's not getting pumped out.

If something serious does happen, I open my engine hatch to see a lot of water, then yeah, I will then put the fuel area and floor locker plugs in and then figure out what is going on, but at the same time, I wouldn't be expecting those plugs to save the day, just buy me time, be it minutes or seconds, not hours.

In normal every day operations, what are you more worried about? Sinking or making sure all the water that gets in your boat (from normal things like rain, waves, etc) gets out? There is enough flotation that the boats don't sink but even with all the plugs in, water will eventually fill all areas and the boats won't float enough to keep the engines 100% dry, so I don't bother with the interior plugs anymore and just let them sit out.