• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Alternate Methods: making Waves for Wake surfing

gthh

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was towing to Big Mables last week and noticed something curious. The "rooster tail" was cutting a pretty good curl very similar to the shape I have seen in some of the weighted boats for wake surfing. Unfortunetly I did not have time (or the skill-just bought a liquid fish wakesurf board) to see how well it would work but it got me thinking....

Has anyone tried putting a drift anchor behind the boat to weigh the bottom down? I think that was what was going on with my boat causing the "wake" to form. I think it may have some possibilities and next week when I am out I will give it a try and post some pictures.

Let me know what you think!

Just be safe about it , don't want to get tangeled up in anything when you fall !!

I guess my reply isn't safe; but I've surfed numerous times while pulling a 4 person tube with all 4 seats occupied :)
I start from the back of the boat. The tube rope doesn't really get in my way; If I fall I just grab the tube as it comes by.

I guess my reply isn't safe; but I've surfed numerous times while pulling a 4 person tube with all 4 seats occupied :)
I start from the back of the boat. The tube rope doesn't really get in my way; If I fall I just grab the tube as it comes by.
Ok that sound fun :) and easer getting back to the boat !!!

At 10 miles per hour, I've always find I have time to swim to the side before the tube gets to me. But I wouldn't recommend a beginner surfer try it.

And I've offended a few friends when I've referred to them as "ballast", but I still do it :)

Last edited:
Thank you for your thoughts. I am thinking (find out this weekend) that the drift anchor would sink below the water surface when being pulled (pulling down the stern ) and I would use the tower to "tow" the surfer. I will put a couple of noodles and a pad to support the rope at the edge of the boat. Any other ideas will be welcomed. If successful I think it would be a great way to out fit our boats for wake surfing without using bags or our overweight friends for ballast.

Back