• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Anchor Line

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Newbie question: do you periodically replace your anchor line? It is he nylon one that came with the boat. But I don't want to lose my nice new box anchor...

I tried to undo my anchor line to line my anchor box, couldn't budge the knot and tried to use the Leatherman pliers to assist. Sliced right halfway through one of he strands of the line. Not sure if I just caught it right or if the line is starting to fail. Of course, I cut it back before the slice and retied it in the meantime.

Any thoughts?

I haven't replaced my anchor line yet, it seems to be in great shape still (2012 model). Although I can see how it's a good idea once the line starts to wear.

Tim, @tdonoughue , just cut that line off, then put tape secure around the line and cut through the tape flush to make a clean and square cut. Then burn that end to seal it. Then retie it like you want it. Always use a shackle on the anchor end but tie off the bitter end in the anchor locker. If you need to soften it due to being kinked and unmanageable, just add some fabric softener in a big bucket with water and the line in it...if the line is good otherwise. You want a 3/8" anchor rode, not ski rope or otherwise. You should also have an anchor thimble on the end where the shackle attaches the line to the anchor's control bar ring. My rode (anchor line) is years old and still going strong. One thing that I use to keep it from kinking and getting unmanageable, is to use a double swivel instead of a shackle...it keeps it from twisting up. BTW, I had 3 anchor lines, 150', 120', and 80'. I sent the 120 and 80 with the Dawg when I sold it, so I have my 150' rode in the locker...and it is WAY TOO LONG! I am going to get another 120 and an 80 for the stern.

My anchor line is original to the boat in 2006. Used in salt water and is still in great shape.

Anchor lines typically last a long time. The area to keep an eye on is the connection point at the anchor shackle/swivel and the first 10 feet. If you anchor in rocky/coral areas your rhode may begin to fray from rubbing on rocks; this is why having a 4-6 foot chain rode is very important.

When you retie you anchor line onto the shackle or swivel, you should weave it on verses just tying a knot. There are many videos that show how to do it on YouTube. Search "rope to chain splice"

Thanks, folks. From the sounds of it I am fine. I did just as @txav8r recommended already, and have everything except the swivel. It is proper anchor rode with the whole bit. Pretty sure it is only 80'. But I was more worried that I was missing some maintenance item than anything. From the testimonials, looks like I am good.

@Murf'n'surf , box anchors don't use chain. So your absolutely right about keeping an eye on the rope nearest the anchor. If you have a thimble, it will incorporate a weave to secure the thimble, and it is a good idea to keep an eye on that routinely. The knot he was talking about was the bitter end in the anchor locker.

If your interested in the swivel, I got mine at West Marine. It isn't rated real strong, but you don't need a heavy rating and 1500 pounds is sufficient for your shackle or swivel on these boats. Mine is stainless, but I had a stainless anchor before. I may have to work on the anchor eventually.
anchor swivel.jpg

It's not clear to me what you sliced through and cut off.

@txav8r I think he cut the line at the box anchor and tied knot. That's what I read. Nothing about the bitter end.

Can you clear this up? @tdonoughue

Last edited:
He had trouble getting the bitter end of the line off of the tie down in the anchor locker. I recommended he just cut it off and not everyone has a hot knife to cut through it to weld it solid, so an easy way, is to tape it around a section that is not frayed, and cut through the tape, then burn that clean and non frayed end. I agree that a weave is a great finish, but hard to do on the bitter end, plus, I think you may want to remove it easily from time to time, to clean the rope if necessary...or change rode when you visit either a shallow or deeper lake, when your needs change.

Ok ok. Anchor box......I read it as a typo thinking he meant box anchor.

Yeah, sorry for the confusion. It was the bitter end on the anchor rode that I couldn't get untied from the anchor compartment, thus causing the issue. So I wrapped and cut and burned there.

The thimble attached to the box anchor seems fine. No issues there.

Thanks.

Back