• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Anchor Puller

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I got one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LONPUM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s01

I thought it would be cool to not have to yank the box anchor off the bottom any more. It does not come with a bouy, so I got a Polyform A-1 bouy (also off Amazon). Also got the inflator for the bouy (there is a separate little 3-dollar adapter you need to buy to pump the thing up).

So, the bouy is nice. Very solid, but pliant. I drilled straight down the top of the eye on it to install the metal eye and nut from the anchor puller. That then attaches directly to the puller (no line needed).

I stopped off in about 7' of water, let out about 25' of rode and hung for awhile. While floating, I installed the anchor puller. When I was ready to go, I tossed the puller overboard, re-secured the anchor line, and motored back over the anchor. I don't know if I went far enough, but it did pull the anchor off the bottom and the bouy bobbed to the surface. So I stopped, pulled in the line. But I was disappointed to find that the puller had not made it all the way down to the anchor. There was still about 5-6' there. So I wound up pulling up the anchor...

As a side note, the A-1 bouy will not fit in the anchor locker on my boat. It is very close, but no cigar. I was able to deflate it a bit and get it to fit, but it is a squeeze.

So, mixed review on this one from me. I will update if I try it again. Probably only good for deeper waters as far as I am concerned. Even then, I don't know that it will save a lot of effort. So far. I only have had 1 run with it.

Anyone else have experience with one of these?

I have something very similar. Orval's EZpull. Works for a little larger anchors. They are great.

I don't exactly understand how these work, but my instant knee-jerk reaction is the possibility of sucking up the anchor line in the impeller. How is that prevented?

In theory, you steer around it. At least at first. Then, as you are getting closer to lifting the anchor, the line is taught (held back by the buoy against your speed) and not an issue, but I still kept it just on the side of the boat. I kept mine off the starboard side, so I could keep an eye on it.

You put the orval's ezpull or similar anchor buoy that is attached to a floatation device (large orange/red buoy usually) and drive in a circle around where the anchor is set. The force of pulling and the tension against the line because of the buoy forces the puller up the rode and since the tensioner is sprung it only allows the line to slide in one direction (toward the anchor). Then when the anchor pops, the buoy floats up and you retrieve your line without breaking your back.

In theory, you steer around it. At least at first. Then, as you are getting closer to lifting the anchor, the line is taught (held back by the buoy against your speed) and not an issue, but I still kept it just on the side of the boat. I kept mine off the starboard side, so I could keep an eye on it.
Interesting. Thanks for the clarification.

Back