• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anchors

Master

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
What type and size anchors are everyone using for our boat mainly in the lake?

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I just use a simple 15 lb. river anchor with a 6' chain. Holds very well on the lake (lots over wind last weekend and she held fast). I have another for the rear but don't always use it.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I use a small box anchor. Works incredible. Love it!

And then I use a shore spike with an anchor buddy for shoreline anchoring.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Also @Master please allow me to get a little off topic. I see your avatar, did you install a TRD pro grill to your Tundra? It looks great. Are you on Tundratalk?

Ok back on topic....LOL

Master

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Also @Master please allow me to get a little off topic. I see your avatar, did you install a TRD pro grill to your Tundra? It looks great. Are you on Tundratalk?

Ok back on topic....LOL
Yes, I installed the pro grill. I am on tundratalk, but have been finding myself on this site more

PapaBear

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I need that and I need to get on Tundra Talk...

billyb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I use a 20# navy anchor with 6' of rubber coated chain.

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
which boat do you have? I ask because a 24' yamaha is very different than a 19' scarab so your milage will vary. But if I were to assume larger is better, then you need a 11lb equivalent fluke style anchor with ~8-12' of chain (depending on thickness of the chain) and a 5.5:1 scope of rope to depth in calm weather or 7:1 scope of rope to depth in more rough conditions.

Personally, I use one of 3 different types of anchors depending on what I'm going to be doing. I have a large box anchor that I use for daytime anchoring in calm conditions (usually this is what my anchor buoy is hooked up to with all my tubes, party islands, etc) when I stay somewhere for more than a day.

For night time anchoring in a very protected area, I toss 2 bow anchors:
  • FX-11 that I ground down the stock so it would fit into my anchor locker. This has 12' of 3/8" thick chain on it.
  • Large Box anchor (usually I just re-attach to the buoy).

For night time anchoring in a less protected area, I toss 2 bow anchors and 1 stern line to shore:
  • FX-11 that I ground down the stock so it would fit into my anchor locker. This has 12' of 3/8" thick chain on it.
  • Manson supreme 25# with 6' pvc coated 3/8" chain and 12' of 3/8" chain (total of 18' of chain).
  • Large shore spike with slacked rope to the back of the boat.

I'm overly protective in how I anchor though. The lake I boat on turns from nice to nightmare in minutes (I have lost many ezups to the winds at lake powell), so when I don't beach my boat, I make sure the anchors are solid.