• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Another Blown Engine

Colvin

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length
I purchased a used 2018 Scarab 255ID last year with engines at 112hrs and regular service records. I rode the boat twice and on the second ride it was determined a valve broke in the starboard engine at cylinder 2. The boat needed a full engine replacement which fortunately was covered under an extended warranty. Yesterday I took the boat for the second ride this season and the same codes popped up P0300 and P302 except in the port side engine. I pulled cylinder 2 plug and it was damaged at the end like the starboard engine was. I’m afraid it’s the same problem. Why would valves just break? I haven’t even towed a tube or wakeboard with the thing yet. Has anyone had this happen?

Attachments

Colvin

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length
Ethanol free. I believe it’s 91. I always fill it up at marinas in passing.

Colvin

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length
The two times I’ve put gas in it anyways.

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
i would check if any foreign object is inside the piston hitting your spark plug electrode, if not buy a new spark plug, tighten it then, reverse quarter of a turn in case its getting hit inside piston you have more gaps to avoid it. - Not an expert so you dont have to do this but I couldnt think of anything else to tell you at least you have warranty to replace it again.

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Probably not the valve failing, but rather your timing chain has stretched or jumped a tooth. Allowing the valve and cylinder to collide due to being out of sync. Did the previous owner do a valve clearance check on the motor prior to you purchasing it? If so, they may have knocked it out of time by rotating the cams incorrectly. just a guess.

Last edited:

Maslin

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When I started shopping for boats last summer a local dealer had a Scarab for sale, used with 2 hours. Thought that couldn't be right, 2 hours? Turns out the boat had 50 something hours, the new engine had 2. They traded it in when the engine popped after a few weekends.

They were asking close to MSRP, I didn't get past the explanation for the hour issue. They told me Scarab has the best engine warranty so you don't have to worry about when they blow up...

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I purchased a used 2018 Scarab 255ID last year with engines at 112hrs and regular service records. I rode the boat twice and on the second ride it was determined a valve broke in the starboard engine at cylinder 2. The boat needed a full engine replacement which fortunately was covered under an extended warranty. Yesterday I took the boat for the second ride this season and the same codes popped up P0300 and P302 except in the port side engine. I pulled cylinder 2 plug and it was damaged at the end like the starboard engine was. I’m afraid it’s the same problem. Why would valves just break? I haven’t even towed a tube or wakeboard with the thing yet. Has anyone had this happen?
If a plug ends up looking like that, unfortunately something came apart. A piston wont hit a plug if a chain stretches or breaks it hits the valves and will bend them or in some cases break off the valve head and that will smash the plug electrode.

Unless you are 100% sure most marine gas i have seen is 87 and occasionally i see 91
Get a camera down that hole and see is there is debris on the top of the piston