• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Another sucked up stick

NewGuy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Well, first outing of the year and while wakesurfing at high RPMs I sucked up a nice piece of hardwood. I was able to get it out OK with tools on the racks, but my bilge came on as well. It happened at the end of the day, so I wasn't able to test it out again. I'd imagine since the bilge came on I may have damaged the impeller seal?

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
When you sucked up the wood was there cavitation?

What model boat ? Most of the jet boats take on water in the bilge area especially while surfing.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
good for you for noticing your bilge running,

I'd imagine since the bilge came on I may have damaged the impeller seal?
I wouldn't think so since the impeller seal is forward of the impeller,
if we see impeller seal damage it's normally from a rope or something that has twisted forward or has been run for a long time

also, if the impeller seal is damaged it's normally the intermediate bearing/seal and that leaks through to the engine bay which would be easy to see/diagnose,

my bilge runs a lot during surfing,

it's a good reason for a high water alarm in the engine bay up a few inches from the floor,
it's also a great reason to have secondary bilge pump so if you see it working you KNOW you have a real problem,

NewGuy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
When you sucked up the wood was there cavitation?

What model boat ? Most of the jet boats take on water in the bilge area especially while surfing.
Oh man was there ever cavitation...big time cavitation. However, I shut it down right away and limped in with the other engine. I was very close to the marina so all good there. I didn't think about bilge water from surfing. You give me hope.

NewGuy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
good for you for noticing your bilge running,

I wouldn't think so since the impeller seal is forward of the impeller,
if we see impeller seal damage it's normally from a rope or something that has twisted forward or has been run for a long time

also, if the impeller seal is damaged it's normally the intermediate bearing/seal and that leaks through to the engine bay which would be easy to see/diagnose,

my bilge runs a lot during surfing,

it's a good reason for a high water alarm in the engine bay up a few inches from the floor,
it's also a great reason to have secondary bilge pump so if you see it working you KNOW you have a real problem,

Thank you Scott. Very helpful to know. I agree on both the high water alarm and secondary bilge pump. Cheap enough it should be mandatory with all manufacturers. In our saltwater boat, I'm actually going to be doing the same. Not as cheap, but I'd like to run that off of the trolling motor battery in the bow. That battery is a 36V 100ah battery which I now find runs all day in heavy current and chop and doesn't drop below 75 to 80 pct. Pursuit decided back in the day to put the batteries all the way in the transom and they sit rather low, which I think needs corrected as well.