• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

anyone been dog sledding before ?? /// BEEN THERE, DONE THAT ///

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My son's boy scout troop is talking about going to a scout camp in Ely, MN next winter that has dog sledding as part of the program. You dog sled out, make camp for two days and then return with additional dog sledding during the day to see the surrounding area.

I'm wondering what the bang to hype ratio is. Is it something that get's boring fast?

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do it! It will be an experience that he will never forget. Cam.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
A few years ago we went dog sledding on one of our skiing trips. The ride was on a trail that was about 2 miles long. Even though it was on a designated trail it was tremendous fun and exciting, we would definitely do it again. It is an experience that the Scouts will never forget, a must do!

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
And Ely is just gorgeous to boot, such a cool area of our state. the boys will be amazed by the wilderness up there.

eastcoaster

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Great opportunity . It's been a few year but went for a four hour dog sled run in Quebec. It was cold so geared up with my long underwear ski pants and jacket etc. Long story short it was a workout as the terain was hilly and had to run behind the sled on steep inclines. Overall it was a blast but challenging . I was overdressed despite the cold temps so was soaked in sweat. This would be a major concern if camping out as the # 1 rule in winter camping is do not sweat as you will freeze later. If it where my son would want to know more about camping conditions and if they are are just riding on sleds or other. I remember as a scout in my younger years going winter camping with an inept scout leader and half the kids coming home with frostbite, fortunately I was not one of them.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh .............
I sincerely hope this is appropriate ............
But I heard "dog sledding" and IMMEDIATELY my mind went bonkers ........

'Cuz down here in the South ..........

We go Dog Skiing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Y'all play nicely now, y'hear ? !!!!!!! (LOL) - Mikey Lulejian - - Lake Oconee, GA
(PS - And Yeah ! That IS one of our PROUD Georgia BullDogs !)
BULL DOG JET SKI.gif

Last edited:

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We had our winter adventure! Two dads and four scouts spent 4 days in Ely, MN.

Colder is definitely better, they had some days in the 30-40's before we arrived so the top layer of ice on the lakes became slush and when it would refreeze you could still break through to the lower layer. Instead of making a base camp on the lake or doing a loop trip out to the Canadian border we had to hike our gear on sleds about 3/4 mile from the lodge and make camp and just run the trails and roads around the camp. The first day was 43 and at night 20 with an inch of snow, the second day was high 15 and night of -2 with 3 inches of snow, the third was high of 5 and low of -12 (we slept in ingloo/quinzhees that night). They gave us all the gear we needed and did a great job feeding and monitoring us to be warm and safe although when in was about 0 anything other than active movement you got a chill pretty quick. We put our sleeping bags inside their -20 big browning bags on top of two sleeping pads with tarp folded over to help against the wind. Nobody was cold at night.

The dog sledding was fun. It was very demanding as you had to jump off and run along side the sled going up a hill to help the dogs. You really had little to know control over the dogs. We had four sleds and two guides. The following sleds lead dogs just followed the front sled but even when you would want to stop you could have all your weight on the brake and if they really wanted they could start pulling you (like when my dogs saw a chipmunk in the snowbank!). We had to feed the dogs twice a day and harness and put them up twice a day so we stayed pretty busy.

I would definitely recommend trying it even for a single day. If I took my daughters that's probably what I would opt for next time.

jacob making camp.jpg n tier at sign.jpg scotts camp.jpg sledding.jpg