• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anyone using a T-bar or no handle surf rope?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So I almost got my hand caught in the handle when I fell trying to surf yesterday. This is the second close call I've had with my surf rope and I'm thinking of trying a T-handle or simply a thicker knotted rope without a handle. I'm wondering if anyone here uses either and if it's any more difficult to get up with?

Something like this...

Or this...

I really wished Straightline made this one without a handle. @Bill D has this rope and it feels so good to hold with the foam "green pea pod" section.

Anyways interested to hear if anyone runs one of these...

spatty99

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I've only used a knotted rope and never had an issue with it. Even riders with less hand strength (eg my wife, plus even a 70 year old ski buddy) have had no issue with it. I think the loss of the bar grip is made up for by being able to use 2 hands gripping 2 knots.

Port0222

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I also use a knotted rope. Made it at home out of a thick rope. Tied a thick knot ever foot or so. $10 instead of $50+ and works really well

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I run the Ronix surf rope with large knots and really like it, but it does make it a tad harder for newer surfers to get out of the water with. I do have a handled rope as well and if I have newbies with I'll throw both on the tower and switch back and forth as needed, but always worry about getting caught in the handle. The T-ropes are nice, I do like those for getting up over the knotted rope, so I would take that one as my 2nd favorite style.

Here's the knotted one I have for comparison: https://www.wakemakers.com/ronix-surf-rope-no-handle.html

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for bringing the attention to this!
T-bar, small handle, or no handle, there is always a possibility of getting your hand/arm snagged...

Thing is, being hurt seems improbable/counter-intuitive given low wake surfing speeds - but yes, it can happen in a hurry.

EDIT: Whats counterintuitive is (wake boarding or skiing) at higher speeds the rope is basically always taut. The slack in the rope while surfing makes it possible to wrap the rope or handle around one's limb. Then, if one falls the boat continues to pull the rope... but the body in water resists forward movement.
Severe laceration or even limb separation can ensue.

--

Last edited:

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Severe laceration or even limb separation can ensue.
Grand father has scars on his upper foot from a ski handle he "dropped" catching his foot while slalom skiing back in the 60's. Said he was pulled under the boat for a good period of time while they were circling looking for him. Only when they stopped did the tension release and he was able to pop to the surface. He was NOT wearing a life vest at the time (did anyone wear vests in the 60's?).

Anyhow, I always advise my skiiers/boarders to "throw" the rope when they are done. Toss it straight up in the air when you're done to avoid this situation as much as possible. Likewise the VERY first lesson I give, and really try to hammer it home, is to "LET GO" if something doesn't feel or look right. We'll come back for you, don't get drug along. Lots tend to forget that though, so a watchful eye from the captain is always required.

I had never considered the added danger of a slacked rope dropping or wrapping while underway. This is some good exposure as even people that are considerably seasoned at tow sports can use the reminder/refresher/alertness.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
My daughters braided a couple tow ropes together years ago and that is what we use most of the time. I like being able to drop it in the water next to me and pick it up when I feel I am falling behind. The ropes with the handles tend to skip and jump so it is hard to grab them.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My daughters braided a couple tow ropes together years ago and that is what we use most of the time. I like being able to drop it in the water next to me and pick it up when I feel I am falling behind. The ropes with the handles tend to skip and jump so it is hard to grab them.
Yup and when the handle goes flying and skipping around imagine if it wrapped around your ankle and you went down! I'm going to try and shorten my rope by about 5' and that should take a lot of the slack out that I pull in. It should also make it easier to find the sweet spot and not worry with all the extra rope in my other hand.

As @swatski said you wouldn't think wake surfing would be dangerous for the slow speeds but I've even read where people have lacerated their head and bruised their brain with a board flying back at them. Strange things can happen no matter the speeds I guess. I'm just glad I immediately realized what was about to happen and was able to pull my hand out of the loop and handle! The way it happened is I was cutting back and forth real hard trying out the fins and how the board breaks away (which the Nubstep was freaking awesome btw). After about the 5th or 6th cut back into the wave I got a little too far forward off balance and went sort of diving into the top of the wave. Natural tendency for me is to put my arms out to protect my eyes and face and I guess when I was going into the wave it happened so fast I didn't have time to toss the rope towards the boat or anything and instead took it into the wave with me. My body immediately slowed down but of course boat was still going with the rope around my arm and hand. I pulled it out once I realized shit was about to get real and just in time. I was done for the day after that and wore out from a doing a long run. Didn't want to press my luck any further that day lol.

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
This is why I like the bungee rope. You can be out to the side of the wave, to fix your stance and shorts. Then slingshot yourself into the pocket. Almost right away you can throw the rope back into the boat. I like a handle. Especially for picking up a downed rider. I know it's a lot to think about but when on my AR195 since I could rarely go ropeless I always threw the rope when I fell. With the moomba I hope I can do what I've described above as I have on other wakesurf boats. I also have soft hands Im a salesperson. I don't want to get pulled up by a knotted rope. Especially over and over and over. If your concerned with safety I feel a T handle is your best bet.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length