• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

AR or LS???

cut2please

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just sold my 2004 SX230. Was a really good boat and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I now want a 2014 either AR or LS. What are the pros and cons between the two. I have never wakeboarded or wakesurfed but would like to start. Does one boat do better than the other in this catagory? Which tower is stronger? Thanks in advance.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The 242LS has upgraded features throughout. I believe the primary tower difference is that the LS tower folds and the design.

If I were shopping now I would choose a 2015 for the quieter ride, higher freeboard and better tracking hull. The 2016s will be announced in August so we are near the end of the model year.

cut2please

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not a big fan of the 2015's. Don't like the rudder and tracking. Like the old style better. Don't like the two swivel seats. Just got rid of that. The 2014 are plenty quiet for me. Plus I won't be able to hear it over the stereo.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Not a big fan of the 2015's. Don't like the rudder and tracking. Like the old style better. Don't like the two swivel seats. Just got rid of that. The 2014 are plenty quiet for me. Plus I won't be able to hear it over the stereo.
May I ask what you don't like about the 2015 rudder? The fact that it exists? Is it the look? Is it the performance? Have you test drove one? Just curious because having had both styles, I personally prefer the boat with the articulating keel and know that I can add even more control with TV's.

cut2please

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have been driving twin engine boats for years. I never put TVs on my SX230. I always use the throttles to drive at slow speeds. Force of habbit I guess. It is just my personnel preferance. I have driven a 2015 and just prefer the 2014. My biggest thing is the seating. I want the long bench that makes the sun pad. In my SX230 we always complained about the swivel passenger seat. Not to bash the 2015 and I praise Yamaha for the improvements they made. The rudder will help many people. No doubt in my mind. I just prefer the old school. I want a 2014 either AR or LS.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I think the AR tower also folds now. But...the LS is the flagship and has bells and whistles that the AR doesn't. Most of these are a waist to me, but some are some nice things to have. If you want an upgraded stereo, your paying a premium on the LS for nothing more than better entry level in the. I don't think the upgraded seat and carpet is anything but different either but it is still very nicely matched. To me, I don't need the tower, so the SX is the perfect platform for me to work from. I do like the idea of a tower for lighting, but I won't be doing watersports...but that may change, I just found out I am going to be a GRANDPA!

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I use the lights in my tower all the time, and its nice to have the fresh water shower back there. Especially when you are grilling and need to wash your hands off.

The bow docking lights also come in handy when looking for channel markers at night and obviously for docking at dark marina's. (Have done that a couple times)

I also like the berber carpet over the standard AR carpet and the head compartment is padded too..

Additionally the rear speakers I use all of the time as we are cove type people that hang out in back of the boat. (The tweeters up high do a great job balancing the sound)

spaz1868

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Another difference that I think the 2014 AR and LS has is the type of tower. The AR has the tower sweeps back and the LS has the tower that sweeps forward.

Helipilot11

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
When are you looking to buy?

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have been driving twin engine boats for years. I never put TVs on my SX230. I always use the throttles to drive at slow speeds. Force of habbit I guess. It is just my personnel preferance. I have driven a 2015 and just prefer the 2014. My biggest thing is the seating. I want the long bench that makes the sun pad. In my SX230 we always complained about the swivel passenger seat. Not to bash the 2015 and I praise Yamaha for the improvements they made. The rudder will help many people. No doubt in my mind. I just prefer the old school. I want a 2014 either AR or LS.
My point is the articulating keel does not take away anything from the boat (except the ability to "break free"). Perhaps you prefer a looser feel (a more traditional "jetboat" feel). If that is the case, I get it because this boat will definitely not break free like it use to on my former SX230. To your next assertion........ most people that have these boats and go out a couple of times will be fine without steering assist. We know and appreciate that. However, it is like power steering in today's cars.....you can certainly drive a car without power steering and be fine, you will just have more work to do. Moreover, I feel that you limit the amount of people that will step in and be willing to drive in a pinch or when I need to enjoy some water sports. I was the permanent driver before I bought the ones I had on my former SX230. My wife and others would steer (pun intended) clear of the helm. With the TV's she was more willing.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The differences between the AR and LS are as follows, rear speakers on swim deck and tweeters in tower, Speakers are polks on LS and seaworthy on AR, LED mood lights in LS tower, upgraded carpet in LS, Freshwater shower on transom of LS, Seat bottom cushions on transom of LS, Forward docking lights on LS, both towers fold down. LS is about $8000 more on MSRP. For me most of the upgrades I wouldn't use, I can add the shower, seat cushions, docking lights and rear speakers if I want them but not for $8K. Hull ,seating powertrain and everything else is the same is both boats. Unless I missed something.

cut2please

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would love to buy today if the right boat and the right deal came along. I can not believe how much these dealers are wanting for a 2014 left over demo boat. Looks like I will be waiting till Nov. or Dec. to buy. I still have my FX SVHO, so it looks like it will be a Waverunner summer. Was in the car business to long and I will not pay to much.

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@cut2please
I would buy the AR. Upgrade the stereo speakers to polks and add tower speakers. I also added Berber carpet and JBP swim deck pads. I prefer the AR tower and Bimini too. Look at the upgrades you want and I bet $8000 is a much bigger number. Also I prefer the variety of the AR graphics vs the LS.

Last thing, if you are tall go stand at the helm of a LS. I am 6'4" and my head touched the tower while at the helm. I stand while driving all the time.

@txav8r Congrats Gramps!!!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other