• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

AR195 Bimini Adjustment

viper15

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2017 AR915 that has the factory forward swept tower and bimini. The very aft part of the bimini has a telescoping strut that allows for adjustment of the bimini up/down. The owners manual states that the lowest setting of the adjustable strut is to be used when towing a wakeboarder or skier. However, since new, I have been unable to adjust the bimini at all. The longest setting is all I can put the strut at. I'm physically unable to use any other setting of the telescoping strut without damaging anything. And in this position, I was fearful that the ski rope would contact the bimini. My first picture of the boat parked at the dock shows how high the aft portion of the bimini is as from the factory. Without any help from my dealer, I set out for a solution on my own.

My solution was to essentially cut one of the bimini struts a bit shorter. Instructions as follows:
- remove the bimini completely so you can work on it at a workbench
- you will be cutting the main aft support strut shorter, NOT the telescoping strut
- first, drill out the rivet holding on the strut mounting post using a drill bit just a bit larger than 3/16"
- remove the strut mounting post
- measure & mark 1" from the end of the exposed strut tube
- cut off the strut tube at the mark you just made; a plumber's copper pipe cutting tool works great for this
- reinstall the strut mounting post and use the hole in the mounting post as a guide for drilling a new rivet hole; drill a new 3/16" hole
- install a new 3/16" stainless steel rivet, & pop in place
- repeat process for the other end of the strut
- install on boat
- done

With the shortened main strut, I'm able to use the middle setting on the telescoping strut and get a nice tight fit on the bimini. If I really muscle it, I can even get to the shortest setting. But using the shortest setting is not really necessary.
Using the middle setting, you can see I have a nice bit of clearance to a ski rope - although this pic was taken in a yard setting. The following day I got a chance to make a couple of ski runs. I'm happy to report that the rope never came in contact with the bimini at all. It cleared when doing a deep water start, and while making my run and jumping from side to side of the wake, the rope always cleared the bimini by what I would guess is a good 6". Head clearance in the boat is great and the bimini looks much better on the boat.

Very happy with my solution and it was only a 1 beer job. :)

Attachments

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Nice job. Added to my to-do list. You should probably post this in the 19' section as i'm sure other 2016 192 guys would be interested.

viper15

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice job. Added to my to-do list. You should probably post this in the 19' section as i'm sure other 2016 192 guys would be interested.
Done

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Followed the link over from the other section. I was on the fence about the usefulness (I still haven't ridden a board behind my new boat :( ), until I saw the rope shot. Well done sir!

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
When you get time, will you take a pic of the bimini in the lowest position? Is the highest setting still usable or does it create slop or droopy material?

viper15

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When you get time, will you take a pic of the bimini in the lowest position? Is the highest setting still usable or does it create slop or droopy material?
I'll try to get a few more pics in the next few days.

I think by cutting off just 1", it puts everything where it needs to be to use all three settings. The highest setting is useable, but the bimini gets a bit too loose for my taste. The lowest setting is also useable, but the bimini gets really really tight, also a bit too tight for my taste. The middle setting seems to be just right, and I'll likely never move it away from that setting from now on.

I honestly think they (Yamaha) didn't need to put any sort of adjustment in the design. And the adjustment the put into it is really too wide of a range. I really don't see the need for it. But at it's root, it might be there for some other reason - such as to accommodate a manufacturing variance in the sewing of the bimini.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
XTP is who makes the tower for Yamaha and many other OEM boat manufacturers. Their universal towers are branded as Monster Tower. You should have a nameplate with the tower serial number located near your nav light/tow pole.

Yea sounds like second notch would be the best bet with your mod. I wished instead of holes it was stepped slots so that we could have a lot of incremental adjustment.

danclemo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Haven't even tried the Bimini just yet, only been out twice. Putting it on tomorrow, hopefully I don't have fit issues like this.

Scott Huse

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Nice post Viper, I have the same boat and will have to do it if I run into the same problem.

Where in Wisconsin are you? I have seen quite a few 190's out this year already, I think they are taking over Lake Koshkonong which I have my boat slipped at. I am going up to Lake Winnebago in the next few to scope it out as I heard it was an excellent lake.

viper15

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice post Viper, I have the same boat and will have to do it if I run into the same problem.

Where in Wisconsin are you? I have seen quite a few 190's out this year already, I think they are taking over Lake Koshkonong which I have my boat slipped at. I am going up to Lake Winnebago in the next few to scope it out as I heard it was an excellent lake.
Located near Wausau. Have a number of lakes w/i 30 mins of where I live. We trailer to many of them. Have family on Lake Holcolme near Ladysmith. Also pull up to Lake Tomahawk quite a bit too.

Logan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Glad to find this post ... just got my 195 and was sitting here in the driveway wondering what I was doing wrong since I also can’t get it past the first setting. Thanks!