• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

AR230 Hi Output 2005

Aron Davidson

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How to replace steering cables, what tools required?

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
https://jetboaters.net/faq/

https://jetboaters.net/faq/how-do-i-replace-a-broken-steering-cable.76/

Here you go

Here are the steps:
  1. First remove the cleanout tray, disconnect the cable from the rear of the boat and push the cable through, reach thru the clean out area and attach the new cable with wire/tape.
  2. Then lift up the engine hatch, you will have a clear shot of the new and old cable. Pull thru until you get to interior seat cushion compartment.
  3. From steering wheel, first remove the two nuts holding the cables, at the very end. remove the bolt holding a small block to the steering wheel and also remove a cable spacer block which is about six inches further down.
  4. Pull cables out thru the hatch. You can now pull out the old cables. I wouldn't bother trying to put the new cables in the plastic sleeve as it's a tight fit, just push thru along the floor and it goes easy.
  5. On the new cable it comes with two new washers at the transom end, most likely the old washer did not come off the boat so reuse it. On mine there was no washer directly inside the boat either so no new washers were used. When you are connecting the new cable to the wheel, make sure to assemble outside of the hatch or directly under the wheel, dont try to assemble by squeezing into this small compartment, its not necessary.
  6. Put the cable clamp block on both cables, feed the cable ends thru the smaller block spacer, attach nuts, tighten and then push the assembly into positon on the wheel where you install a bolt to hold the assembly in place - don't try to assemble everything in place at the wheel, it's way too hard. That's about it, should take 30 mins.
  7. Seal up the hole in the transom, both inside and out.
  8. Other thing though is getting the large 22m nut off the rear of the boat. I found an old deep socket, cut the end off and welded a 12" pipe to that so it slid over the cable ends and you could uninstall - without this you are going to struggle. If you have a local dealer maybe they could lend you this puppy?

Also putting back together the clean out tray, dont install and then try to feed the cut off switches thru the holes and put on the locknuts, do this before screwing backdown the clean out tray, seems obvious but I did it the hard way first time. If you are also going to do the reverse gate cable I'd do it now so you don't have to take the cleaning tray out again, plus it's easier as you can get good access to this cable from inside the boat. Also check this site for other sources for the teleflex cable, $50.00 or less versus Yammie $165.00 each. Don't think you'll have the same luck with the steering cables tho.

Credit to @Railmonkey