• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Arch oil additive

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Anyone ever use this stuff in anything other than a diesel. I use it in my 6.0 and it really seems to help quiet the engine and the fuel mileage goes up a few mpg. It says you can use it in anything... Anyone ever use this stuff in a boat.

And before everyone pulls out their soap box to stand on I am not a big fan nor believer in the constant snake oil additives that come out. However in researching for 2 years by reading everything I could about the 6.0 (atleast what I could understand) I learned the ford 6.0 is a outstanding engine... However it is a little fickle! It is not an engine that you can simply neglect and expect it to run forever because u will be sitting on the side of the road. Many 6.0 owners swear by arch oik... One of the loudest endorcments are the master craftsmen that rebuild and take care of Jay lenno's insane fleet of cars and one of a kind vehicles... They use this stuff in almost all of them. I'm sold on putting it in the 6.0 diesel but not sure about it in other gas engines. Anyone here have experience with it...

Ok... Bring out the soap boxes!

Never heard of it but will be checking it out.

I've never heard of it either but here's the data sheet...

Attachments

Anyone ever use this stuff in anything other than a diesel. I use it in my 6.0 and it really seems to help quiet the engine and the fuel mileage goes up a few mpg. It says you can use it in anything... Anyone ever use this stuff in a boat.

And before everyone pulls out their soap box to stand on I am not a big fan nor believer in the constant snake oil additives that come out. However in researching for 2 years by reading everything I could about the 6.0 (atleast what I could understand) I learned the ford 6.0 is a outstanding engine... However it is a little fickle! It is not an engine that you can simply neglect and expect it to run forever because u will be sitting on the side of the road. Many 6.0 owners swear by arch oik... One of the loudest endorcments are the master craftsmen that rebuild and take care of Jay lenno's insane fleet of cars and one of a kind vehicles... They use this stuff in almost all of them. I'm sold on putting it in the 6.0 diesel but not sure about it in other gas engines. Anyone here have experience with it...

Ok... Bring out the soap boxes!
I'm surprising myself, reading about it, I like what I see. Sounds like a bunch of esters/alkaline - so that you are literally making "soap", not a bad thing - anti-wear, friction modifier, weak acid neutralizer.

Here is some good background, my go-to with additives.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3517721/Re:_Ordered_Archoil

Myself, I'm a diehard for Ring Free.
The original Yamaha Ring Free, PEA (polyetheramine), originally made by Chevron/Amoco and Techron. It has a huge following among boat owners for outboard motors of all brands (2 and 4 stroke) - especially commercial fisherman who run their engines hard. Yamaha recommends it it Waverunners, 2 and 4 stroke.

Yamaha Ring Free has undergone some changes in marketing and I am not certain about the product chemistry at this point, but it is still in the owners/shop manuals as recommended.That's why I buy it as the original, in big bottle, use it all the time. 1oz per 10gallons, not bad.

EDIT: Ring Free is a gas additive. The AR9100 goes into motor oil. IDK, I think I would add this if using any generic motor oil. I've been using Amsoil marine, it is loaded with stuff like that and more, I'm sure. So probably not for me.

--

Last edited:
I'm surprising myself, reading about it, I like what I see. Sounds like a bunch of esters/alkaline - so that you are literally making "soap", not a bad thing - anti-wear, friction modifier, weak acid neutralizer.

Here is some good background, my go-to with additives.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3517721/Re:_Ordered_Archoil

Myself, I'm a diehard for Ring Free.
The original Yamaha Ring Free, PEA (polyetheramine), originally made by Chevron/Amoco and Techron. It has a huge following among boat owners for outboard motors of all brands (2 and 4 stroke) - especially commercial fisherman who run their engines hard. Yamaha recommends it it Waverunners, 2 and 4 stroke.

Yamaha Ring Free has undergone some changes in marketing and I am not certain about the product chemistry at this point, but it is still in the owners/shop manuals as recommended.That's why I buy it as the original, in big bottle, use it all the time. 1oz per 10gallons, not bad.

EDIT: Ring Free is a gas additive. The AR9100 goes into motor oil. IDK, I think I would add this if using any generic motor oil. I've been using Amsoil marine, it is loaded with stuff like that and more, I'm sure. So probably not for me.

--
I have an amsoil dealer about a mile away from me.. I have never used any of thier stuff.

I have an amsoil dealer about a mile away from me.. I have never used any of thier stuff.
I do not endorse their marketing bs, it's as awful as anything. What made me a repeat customer are their oil filters, actually.
Those are built so solid, it is ridiculous, almost impossible to cut through... (I just changed a pair, if anyone wants to take a stub, lol). I used to buy Yamaha oil and filters, then when they changed the filters some 4-5 years ago (same part number and look, but made in Thailand not Japan is the only difference visible from outside) - with paper medium and paper-thin can - I was done.

So here is my plan... And I an open to anyone input. The ford book says change the oil every 7 thousand miles. Most 6.0 shops say don't go 7k... Hold 5k max because of the acfeaive shearing effect of the high pressure oil pump in the 6.0 degrade the oil and causes injector and wearing issues. So 15 quarts of rotella t6 synthetic oil every 5 k with the monster filter changes is not cheap. The current oil in the truck does not have arch oil in it due to having the egr deleted and oil cooler replaced.. . I didn't have any of it at the time so its just t6. I need to change the oil now that I am at 5k.... I just order the oil additive and will change the oil when it gets here... I planned on sending the used oil off for an oil analysis... I am going to wait and do another 5k with the additive and see what the state of the oil is then. Arch oil says with their additive u can change the oil change interval to 10k and the oil will still check in spec.. That's a lot less expensive oil changes.....

Last edited:
So I changed the oil in my truck yesterday and added the arch oil. When I started my truck to warm the oil and check for leaks after the change I froze as soon as it started. Something didnt sound right after it ran for a few seconds. I thought I missed a step or didn't tigheten something. After a quick check and everything looked good I realized it was quieter.. Not gaser quiet but still quieter. I drove around the block and verified it was drastically quieter than what it was. Not sure the fuel mileage or anything will be better but if it does indeed double the oil change interval then its worth it... Changing the oil in a diesel isn't the cheapest thing. I am curious about putting it in the boat. After the hell my one engine endured during the bimini crossing a little extra help may not hurt!

Sounds like a viable Seafoam engine cleaner competitor with similar results.

I plan to use someting like this as I have a Mercedes R class with a 3.5L M272 gas engine that has some irritating piston slap and lifter noise on startup.

Back