• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Are there any rules governing transom light colors? (MD/DE esp...)

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Folks,
was planning to adding a boatpluglight drain plug light - blue to match the boat hull color. And then I saw an article about some guy, not a cop in any way, that got busted for having flashing blue lights on his car to get people out of the fast lane in front of him. While I think that's a fantastic idea I don't want to buy a blue light to make friends with the local constabulary!

Has anyone heard anything - particularly in DE, MD, or even VA waters - that could make a blue light problematic?

Thanks!

Ajax

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Folks,
was planning to adding a boatpluglight drain plug light - blue to match the boat hull color. And then I saw an article about some guy, not a cop in any way, that got busted for having flashing blue lights on his car to get people out of the fast lane in front of him. While I think that's a fantastic idea I don't want to buy a blue light to make friends with the local constabulary!

Has anyone heard anything - particularly in DE, MD, or even VA waters - that could make a blue light problematic?

Thanks!
As long as the light is under the waterline I do not see any issues with it. Lights above water would have to follow code.

PeterB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
In general, I would stay away from any flashing light, as they could be confused for lghts with specific intended purpose. So long as lights don't block or confuse your navigation lights, they are generally considered ok. The laws are vague so subject to interpretation. Note - I was in the Coast Guard and enforced federal rules, so this may vary in state waters
A blue steady light at the waterline should not cause a problem. A few manufacturers now offer this as an option.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
As long as the light is under the waterline I do not see any issues with it. Lights above water would have to follow code.
Good to note that it is near impossible to have anything on the transom under the waterline if you are on plane.

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks folks!
Planning for a steady light, not too strong, primarily for some illumination that isn't as harsh as a white light when we're parked and swimming in the evenings.
@MidnightRider , that link is concerning... Reading USCG rule 20 literally, absolutely nothing would be allowable other than "standard" navigation lights, anywhere on the boat! I am going to re-think the interior LED strips though. Was planning to use just blue but variable RGB or even just white might be smarter. I can see how a blue light from a boat that's bobbing up and down could be confused as law enforcement.
Orders placed. Pics to follow!

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
The other thing to think about for LED lighting color is BUGS. If you don't have bugs where you boat then no big deal, but if you do then be aware that bugs are typically MUCH more attracted to colors with shorter wavelengths. The color blue is on the short side of the spectrum and red would be on the longer side of the spectrum. I'm not a light scientist or anything but this is what I've been told. My experience plays this out exactly though. All our interior and underwater lights are RGB. We boat on the river a lot and at night its a world of difference if we put the lights on blue vs red. On blue mode the LEDs attracts the bugs from near and far like a bug magnet. On red mode it attracts far less bugs. The difference is very, very noticeable actually. Just something to think about.

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks folks!
Planning for a steady light, not too strong, primarily for some illumination that isn't as harsh as a white light when we're parked and swimming in the evenings.
@MidnightRider , that link is concerning... Reading USCG rule 20 literally, absolutely nothing would be allowable other than "standard" navigation lights, anywhere on the boat! I am going to re-think the interior LED strips though. Was planning to use just blue but variable RGB or even just white might be smarter. I can see how a blue light from a boat that's bobbing up and down could be confused as law enforcement.
Orders placed. Pics to follow!
Interior courtesy lamps are not typically an issue. They just really don't want anything other than navigation lights visible when operating a vessel at night. Really for your own safety and the safety of others you shouldn't want anything interfering with someone else's ability to determine your course and thereby limiting also their ability to avoid a possible collision course. When you are sitting at anchor is a whole other story though, at least in DE/MD as originally queried. At anchor, unless you're in a recognized (charted) anchorage, you do need to have your anchor light illuminated, but you can pretty much have as many other lights going as you want, with the only exception being the use of spotlights should be avoided for the most part while on anchor. With all that being said, blue underwater lights most likely will not get you in trouble in DE/MD waters, even if used while underway.
The other thing to think about for LED lighting color is BUGS. If you don't have bugs where you boat then no big deal, but if you do then be aware that bugs are typically MUCH more attracted to colors with shorter wavelengths. The color blue is on the short side of the spectrum and red would be on the longer side of the spectrum. I'm not a light scientist or anything but this is what I've been told. My experience plays this out exactly though. All our interior and underwater lights are RGB. We boat on the river a lot and at night its a world of difference if we put the lights on blue vs red. On blue mode the LEDs attracts the bugs from near and far like a bug magnet. On red mode it attracts far less bugs. The difference is very, very noticeable actually. Just something to think about.
Absolutely agree! My findings definitely second this finding. Blue courtesy lights and the bugs swarm. Although I didn't know why this happened more with blue lights, so learning that it has to do with the wave length is interesting.