• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Arrived

Divouneh

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
I received my new 170hp Scarab 165...[flag]
I reached 10 hours, still "fighting" with low speed direction.
Docking is not too difficult but leaving the dock in small space is still challenging.
6000 rpm seems to be the best setting, I feel at lower (5000) rpm the boat is not flat enough on the water.
For a small boat, you have a good confort and stability. :)
A new life starting :winkingthumbsup"

IMG_3902.jpeg

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Low speed controls will come with time. It takes some practice. And like any boat, you have to account for momentum. You need to plan steering a few seconds BEFORE you need steering. lol

Tight spaces will feel like zero issues once you get the hang of it. Note that you can adjust your forward/reverse at any position. Not just N, F, or R. But think of 20% F, or 60% F. That allows you to adjust the speed in very small increments. It just won't lock at those levels.

I agree that for the 165, higher speeds is better. It will also avoid porpoising or reduce it.

Make sure to read the Operator's Manual, BRP one... the Scarab one sure, but the BRP one is FULL of useful Rotax engine info.

Divouneh

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
Tight spaces will feel like zero issues once you get the hang of it.
It's coming :). Yesterday I did Lewes/Milton (Delaware) a so nice "river" to navigate.
I have to investigate: only one bar came out in my fuel gage. I will fill up the gas tank today,
when watching the tank seems to be less than 3/4 ( 2H trip ).:oops:

Attachments

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Yeah, definitely measure the amounts and compare to the size of the tank. If for some reason it's off, but the gauge is moving, then it's likely an "indexing" problem. In other words, the pump was either installed at the wrong angle or wasn't tight and the pump rotated so that the float inside is contact a fuel tank wall. It's an easy fix if that's the case.

Divouneh

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
My fuel gage seems ok, each "trip" (average 2 hours) I use around around 5/6 gallons.
The gas tank is 20 gallons with probably 15 gallons for safely riding.
I need to understand why the "eco" mode is not available in my boat.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Eco mode and ski mode, etc. Is an optional add-on device. It's a little module you need to buy from a Scarab dealer specifically that plugs into the diagnostic port and enables certain modes. Costs a few hundred dollars if you want it.