• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Baja Jet Boat - Worth it to restore?

HurricaneJB

Reaction score
Boat Make
Baja
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hi everyone, I recently found someone that would be willing to give me his old Baja jet boat for free. From a bit of googling, it appears to me to be a mid-90's Baja Blast. Although the owner is willing to give it away, the catch is, well, you can probably tell by looking at the photos! It's just been sitting uncovered on a trailer for years. The guy couldn't remember many details about it, but he said that he recalled it needed a bit of work to get it running properly, but nothing along the lines of an engine replacement or anything else major. Obviously there will be plenty of cosmetic work needed as well. Anyhow, is anyone familiar with these? It seems it could be a fun project that could end up being a fun toy, however I'm not interested in sinking a ton of money into it as I already have another boat that has a solid grip on my fun funds. But if physical labor is going to be the main barrier to getting this thing back on the water, I'm very willing and able to get into it.

So does anyone here have experience with these? How are they on the water? What is the likelihood that I could get this thing running properly without spending a ton? I know it's tough to judge without knowing any other info, just looking for thoughts from folks who might know a thing or two about these!

Thanks

Attachments

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I know nothing about these boats, but my guess it that the net value is probably less than $0. The limiting value of a boat like this is the cost to get the engine running/replaced. My guess is that the engine cost would probably be more than the boat is worth.

Jim

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Search Baja jet. There’s a couple of threads about them on here.

Having bought and restored an impulse purchased boat myself I’d tell you that you’re going to get sucked in and it will take much more time and money than you think.

Mustangswan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Getting sucked in and costing more time and money than you thought. That should be said about any boat! New or old, running or not. If your not ready to throw money away, you should never get one! HA, Ha, Ha!
Looks like that boat could be fun!

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Hi everyone, I recently found someone that would be willing to give me his old Baja jet boat for free. From a bit of googling, it appears to me to be a mid-90's Baja Blast. Although the owner is willing to give it away, the catch is, well, you can probably tell by looking at the photos! It's just been sitting uncovered on a trailer for years. The guy couldn't remember many details about it, but he said that he recalled it needed a bit of work to get it running properly, but nothing along the lines of an engine replacement or anything else major. Obviously there will be plenty of cosmetic work needed as well. Anyhow, is anyone familiar with these? It seems it could be a fun project that could end up being a fun toy, however I'm not interested in sinking a ton of money into it as I already have another boat that has a solid grip on my fun funds. But if physical labor is going to be the main barrier to getting this thing back on the water, I'm very willing and able to get into it.

So does anyone here have experience with these? How are they on the water? What is the likelihood that I could get this thing running properly without spending a ton? I know it's tough to judge without knowing any other info, just looking for thoughts from folks who might know a thing or two about these!

Thanks

Thanks
Hopefully when the restoration is complete, you'll still be young enough to climb in.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I know a little about that boat but more about boats in its class / it’s competition. Unless I’m mistaken that boat has a lot of similar competition from the likes of master craft, euroline and some other manufactures I can’t remember now. Anyway, they were all powered by mecury 2 stroke sport engines and pumps. The boat is between 15 and 16 feet long. dry it weighs less a thousand pounds. The power to weight ratio could be high depending on the motor in it, 120, 175, 200, 210, 240 and 250 HP. In the mid and late 90s. Most of these boats came with a 120hp motor, a boat with the 175hp motor was harder to find. I don’t know about the 120hp motor but the 175hp was a V6 with three carbs.

I had a 1997 euro line cyclone with a 175hp motor that I bought in 2001 for $5500. It rode like a high end jetski with a bench seat. It was fast out of the whole and to the top speed, not sure what it was as I don’t recall it having many gauges or at least not a speedometer. You engaged the choke by pushing the key further into the ignition before turning it.There was a button to pull near the throttle arm which would disengage the forward/reverse bucket so you could rev the engine without taking off.

Sugars and seadoo used the same engine and pump combos for a few years. The biggest concern is parts availability since mercury discontinued manufacturing the engines / parts over 10 years ago. I bet it would hard to find a stock impeller , intake grate and impeller tool for it as well. Most mercury dealers won’t work on them, probably don’t think they know how given the motors age but my understanding is that the 175 to 250 use the same block as eachother and their outboard counterparts.

given the above, if it has a 175hp motor or better, that is running, no holes in the hull below the waterline (and preferably includes a trailer) I’d think it would be worth The time to take it on as a side project. If nothing else it would be a great starter/training or drive it like you stole it boat as long as you could get it running.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@HurricaneJB : Surfing you tube I found a few videos featuring bayliner’s jazz jet boat that uses the mercury sport jet combo. I didn’t realize there was a 90hp variant.

There are also many videos of other boats with the same pump and engine Combo like seaRay raider and regal rush. I recommend that you check some of these videos out before seeing and making a decision on the freebie offered to you. Personally I would not bother unless the boat has at least 175 hp.

Attachments

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had Baja Blast for a couple of years, Most of them had the Sportjet 90 engines in them that had numerous ignition issues. Personally I would never get another one even if it was free.