• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ballast Calibration

melvin80

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Just alittle background, we have had our problems with the Yamaha 242x through the last 3 seasons. the main problem we have found is the level of service with the service departments and inability to contact Yamaha for assistance directly, including the engineering department for clarity on certain systems. The latest is the Ballast system has gone from control module failure (it was covered under warrantee ), miss wired motors after it was returned to us, to now miss calibrated and blown bags as a result.

We have found out (not from the dealer but a random post here) that there is the calibration page on the Connext unit by holding the sys config button for 5 -10 sec. I am trying to find a Yamaha system Bulletin or service manual page that describes the use of the system page to zero out the pumps without running them dry, or changing the max counter for filling to stop the pump from blowing my bags AGAIN!. I have looked through the full service manual and owners manual with no mention of the inner workings of the connext config.

I will be contacting the dealer again now that I know the config page exists on the Connext, but I am sure I will be given the run around once again, as I am sure now that they don't even know of its existence.

The level of service with most new items these days has become very disconcerting and I loose my faith in the service departments almost as soon as I see the 16-18 yr old " mechanic " come and tell me I am wrong every time.

Anyone with some experience would be surely appreciated.

MisterG

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I just purchased a 2016 from a dealer and had issues with the ballast calibration as well. I ended up using the confit screen to solve my issues as well. I had one tank showing it was nearly full but actually was totally empty. Needed to shut off power at the battery and then run the empty mode from the config screen. Once I got everything emptied and then runs full fill cycle it’s been operating correctly.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
As stated above, you need to be on the water to do a full config of the ballast system. Make sure the shutoff valve is open in the engine bay and do a ballast empty reconfigure. This should get you to where you want to be. Also when re configuring your ballast when filling I think i did my bags one at a time but it may be better to do them all at once because you only have one intake. To get my port bag all the way full, fill that one first then I fill the other 2 at the same time.

Scott Gore

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I’m having problems with my ballasts on my 2019 Yamaha 242x e-series. My center ballast won’t fill. I think I may need to calibrate them, but I have know idea how to do it, Yamaha customer service won’t help me over the phone and the dealership is clueless.

So I’m hoping someone on this forum can give me some tips....

Scrodee

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I’m having problems with my ballasts on my 2019 Yamaha 242x e-series. My center ballast won’t fill. I think I may need to calibrate them, but I have know idea how to do it, Yamaha customer service won’t help me over the phone and the dealership is clueless.

So I’m hoping someone on this forum can give me some tips....
There's a hidden menu, push and hold the settings touch button.

Lfjr33

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have a 2019 242X and have the same problem since day one where sometimes fills sometimes doesn't empty. Contacted dealer several times and they said it needed to be calibrated but wouldn't help me. Took it in for other issues and they wanted to charge me over $200 to calibrate. Argued with them until they agreed to calibrate and low and behold, presto! They had to order a ballast module and the cost of the part alone is $900. At least it's under warranty but part now backordered until Sept. 2021.

oneflight

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have a 2019 242X and have the same problem since day one where sometimes fills sometimes doesn't empty. Contacted dealer several times and they said it needed to be calibrated but wouldn't help me. Took it in for other issues and they wanted to charge me over $200 to calibrate. Argued with them until they agreed to calibrate and low and behold, presto! They had to order a ballast module and the cost of the part alone is $900. At least it's under warranty but part now backordered until Sept. 2021.
I have a 2020 242XE and the ballast control module went out last November (2020). I took it to my dealer January 5th to have it replaced... along with the 100 hour service and a few other minor warranty issues. It is now Memorial Day weekend and I still have not gotten the boat back. I dont know that there is any recourse...but I am working on it.