• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Battery Charger in the engine compartment?

Ltwirth

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Curious if anyone has had any Issues with their battery chargers that have been mounted in the engine compartment? Not sure if it gets too hot in there causing the charger to fail. I have a 2020 212x and the stereo amp is already mounted in the ideal location in the rear port storage compartment so considering mounting in the engine compartment. There is a space on the top port side wall behind the engine hatch strut. I understand the ballast tank is on the other side of the wall but I believe it is on the lower half. Any other suggested mounting techniques on these newer models?CC59AB02-456B-468A-A035-A4440CB43508.jpeg83249515-7C33-4B9F-BCA1-285386CB6B4F.jpeg

Compatico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It should come with a manual with guidelines about installation - generally you don't want to install anything that could spark near fuel or batteries. Heat may be a concern, so near the batteries, but a separate compartment location would be ideal I would think.

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Heat and electronics don't normally play well. It could cause the charger to fail prematurely. That being said, if the charger is ignition protected you'll be safe.

JetPowered

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I've had mine installed on the port bulkhead wall inside the engine compartment for years and have had no problems with the charger.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I've had mine installed on the port bulkhead wall inside the engine compartment for years and have had no problems with the charger.
That’s where I installed on my 210, as well. Worked fine. I trailer mostly. Engine compartment was always plenty cool and aired out by the time I got home and plugged in. Also mounted my thru hull adapter about 6” away from the gas tank vent. I did try to plug it in at the boat, before I connected power on the other end though.

CA Sterling Archer

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looking at installing a Minn Kota MK220PC onboard battery charger in the engine compartment as well on my 2013 AR192. Has anyone that's installed it in the engine compartment had a failure of the charger? For those that did install in the engine compartment, did you use nylon washers to bring the charger away from the carpet 1/4-1/2 inch? I'll attach a few pictures where I hope to mount mine, let me know what you think. Thanks!IMG_0894.JPGIMG_0895.JPGIMG_0896.JPGIMG_0897.JPG

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I would not install in the engine compartment for two reasons:
1- It gets hot in there and will eventually affect longevity of your charger, so why take the risk?
2- when it’s plugged in and charging, the engine compartment is closed, there maybe off gassing from residual fuel, this is a source of hazard as any potential spark could ignite and/or cause an explosion. If so, I’m almost certain insurance won’t cover it as they will sight negligence.
But that’s my opinion, you will do what makes you comfortable hence you asking here for various prospectives.

Be safe and enjoy the water.....

CA Sterling Archer

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@ZGhost. Point 1 - I was hoping to put the charger in the engine bay for ease of use and install. The manual doesn't say not to install in the engine compartment. It gives little instruction on where to mount actually, just not above the batteries. Only reference to temperature in the manual is the charger itself can reach 150F and max ambient temp to recharge is 122F. Point 2 - I trailer to and from the lake so hopefully any residual gases would have dissipated, but that may not always be the case in the future so a point well made.

Gives me things to think about, which is why I enjoy this site and thoughts of others so much. Still not sure where to install this thing yet. Thanks again!

Lee Wilke

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Curious if anyone has had any Issues with their battery chargers that have been mounted in the engine compartment? Not sure if it gets too hot in there causing the charger to fail. I have a 2020 212x and the stereo amp is already mounted in the ideal location in the rear port storage compartment so considering mounting in the engine compartment. There is a space on the top port side wall behind the engine hatch strut. I understand the ballast tank is on the other side of the wall but I believe it is on the lower half. Any other suggested mounting techniques on these newer models?View attachment 115291View attachment 115299
Did you ever come up with a spot to mount the charger in?
I'm right now in the same predicament.
Thanks for any advice.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Did you ever come up with a spot to mount the charger in?
I'm right now in the same predicament.
Thanks for any advice.
I have mine mounted right where the OP was asking about.
It’s ignition protected so should be safe and it’s out of my way there.
I’m sure heat isn’t the best for it, but the engine compartment doesn’t get that crazy hot and there are already electronics in there.

CA Sterling Archer

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I ended up following @ZGhost suggestion and not mounting mine in the engine compartment. I ended up putting it in the under seat storage compartment right next to the battery. Outta sight and no chance of accidental damage from engine heat. Good luck!

Ltwirth

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I actually just decided to velcro the charger to the top of the plastic battery cover. That way I can easily remove it along with the batteries for winter storage.

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I ended up following @ZGhost suggestion and not mounting mine in the engine compartment. I ended up putting it in the under seat storage compartment right next to the battery. Outta sight and no chance of accidental damage from engine heat. Good luck!
That exactly where I mounted mine. Not worth taking risks, pleanty of room there for a small charger. Excellent choice. Happy charging .... happy boating!

ABL8R

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I actually just decided to velcro the charger to the top of the plastic battery cover. That way I can easily remove it along with the batteries for winter storage.
This is a great idea. Will try the same. I wanted to mount near the battery switch but not enough real estate. The panel just next to it has space but I’ll never be able to see the battery indicator there.

Ltwirth

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yes, very easy to see the indicators lights this way. I used the 3m Command velcro strips which are more durable. I think they are actually meant to hang large picture frames.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
"That way I can easily remove it along with the batteries for winter storage"
This is a great idea. Will try the same.
The only reason I mounted a charger in the boat was so I don't have to take out the batteries ever.
:)

Lee Wilke

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I figured out a spot for my battery charger. I took out the plastic wall connected to my port rear ballast tank and decided to mount it to that.
Was able to mount the wall back to tank and then charger to the studs on the wall.
Used all SS and Aluminum. The charger now stands about an inch off of the wall and is locked down with lock nuts in the front and back of the charger.
Yes I lost the ability to physically look at the tank for seeing the level of the tank, but I'm not that worried about it.
Will post a picture of the charger mounted when I get a chance, forgot to get one once I got it in place.
Went with the ProMariner 3 bank 20 Amp charger as I am adding another battery for my project to add another amp and Rev 8's or 10's next year.

Attachments

Last edited:

1WetBoat

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I mounted mine next to the battery switches on my AR. The divider there has the batteries right behind it in the engine compartment. Had enough room for that and for an upcoming BlueSeas fuse block.

20210302_182252.jpg

ABL8R

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I figured out a spot for my battery charger. I took out the plastic wall connected to my port rear ballast tank and decided to mount it to that.
Was able to mount the wall back to tank and then charger to the studs on the wall.
Used all SS and Aluminum. The charger now stands about an inch off of the wall and is locked down with lock nuts in the front and back of the charger.
Yes I lost the ability to physically look at the tank for seeing the level of the tank, but I'm not that worried about it.
Will post a picture of the charger mounted when I get a chance, forgot to get one once I got it in place.
Went with the ProMariner 3 bank 20 Amp charger as I am adding another battery for my project to add another amp and Rev 8's or 10's next year.
Nice job! looks like a really clean build. Would love to see the post-pics...

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Prior owner on my SX230 installed one in the engine compartment. The ECU is very close to the engines and does fine. It's installed as reasonably far from the engine as possible. Works just fine. It's been there at least 5 years.