• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Battery Charger & Switch vs ACR Help Needed Please

Need A Vacation

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
Tried posting in the electronics forum, but no replies... Guessing because it’s not a Yammie. 🤣

I’m adding a second battery to our 215 ID for the stereo, and wonder how many went with a single bank charger for just the stereo battery? I could be wrong but I don’t see the start battery needing to be charged very often if at all. The only time the boat will spend the night in the water is when we are camping and anchor the boat just off the shore. Otherwise it will always be pulled out at the end of any day trips.

I was considering a NOCO battery charger, unless there is better charger that has a similar price without breaking the bank?

Should we install an extension cord hook up to make it easier to plug the charger in? If so, where would you suggest on our 215? Near the rear corner, in the rear side seat base or the center base? Or possibly the transom? Would prefer it a little more hidden, but not having to remove the rear side seat or raise the motor cover would be nice. Maybe run the power cord into the port console and just open the walkway storage door to plug an extension cord in?

And should I upgrade the stock battery on/off switch to a dual battery switch (4 way), or just wire in an ACR? I like the idea of the ACR since I don’t have to remember to change the switch when anchoring and hanging out, or when taking off and cruising so the stereo battery charges.

TY!!!

View attachment 94218

Or

View attachment 94219

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I can't help on the switch/ACR, but you can't hop wrong with NOCO. I've sold their products in the past, and used them myself for years. They always work when you need them to.

ZippyBoater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Tried posting in the electronics forum, but no replies... Guessing because it’s not a Yammie. 🤣

I’m adding a second battery to our 215 ID for the stereo, and wonder how many went with a single bank charger for just the stereo battery? I could be wrong but I don’t see the start battery needing to be charged very often if at all. The only time the boat will spend the night in the water is when we are camping and anchor the boat just off the shore. Otherwise it will always be pulled out at the end of any day trips.

I was considering a NOCO battery charger, unless there is better charger that has a similar price without breaking the bank?

Should we install an extension cord hook up to make it easier to plug the charger in? If so, where would you suggest on our 215? Near the rear corner, in the rear side seat base or the center base? Or possibly the transom? Would prefer it a little more hidden, but not having to remove the rear side seat or raise the motor cover would be nice. Maybe run the power cord into the port console and just open the walkway storage door to plug an extension cord in?

And should I upgrade the stock battery on/off switch to a dual battery switch (4 way), or just wire in an ACR? I like the idea of the ACR since I don’t have to remember to change the switch when anchoring and hanging out, or when taking off and cruising so the stereo battery charges.

TY!!!

View attachment 94218

Or

View attachment 94219
The dual charger doesn't cost that much more and then you have piece of mind when stating the boat. My boat sits for 2-3 weeks between uses and the NOCO dual battery charger keeps my batteries in top shape. No problem starting or playing the stereo all day long.

Chad Anderson

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I just installed the Blue Sea mini add a battery kit (7649) with a new battery switch (replaces existing one) and automatic charging relay. I now have a group 24 starting battery and a group 31 house battery for the stereo. The ACR will charge both batteries as needed when the motor is running. In an emergency the switch lets you combine both batteries to start the boat. The kit was around $100 with another $25 or so in cables and ends.

Need A Vacation

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
I just installed the Blue Sea mini add a battery kit (7649) with a new battery switch (replaces existing one) and automatic charging relay. I now have a group 24 starting battery and a group 31 house battery for the stereo. The ACR will charge both batteries as needed when the motor is running. In an emergency the switch lets you combine both batteries to start the boat. The kit was around $100 with another $25 or so in cables and ends
I have considered the full switch/ACR kit as well. Guess it’s the best of both world.

What boat do you have?

I am also going with a group 31 agm. Mounting it under the port side rear seat.

TY!!!

FreshSalt09

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 Open ID
Boat Length
Hey Fellas! Planning on installing one of these for my house/trolling motor battery. Couple quick questions:

What size wire did you use? I can't find anywhere in the manual how many amps the stator puts out. Additionally, I'm in a 195Open and my 2nd battery is located in the front of the boat or about 12' from the fuse panel. I was thinking #4 wire.

Did you guys put a switch between the ACR and the batteries? I read a review that you need one or it will drain your batteries if left in storage untended.

Thanks!

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I installed a 2nd battery as a backup. (Not stereo upgrade) These boats have a, when not being used battery drain. So I installed a 4 way switch, and use a dual charger. I also installed a 2nd bilge and wired it to 2nd battery directly.
I just alternate battery use each time out. Simple and works. (May work for your stereo setup)
I Have 2) optima blue tops.
And use an extreme pulse tech charger.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would buy a 2 bank charger and charge both of your batteries especially over the winter time (if you have a winter time).

I am also getting ready to install a 2nd battery for my upgraded stereo. I am probably going to go with a simple 4 position switch versus the complexity of the Blue Seas Add a Battery kit since the ACR has me confused on wiring, can drain the batteries during storage, requires additional fuses, etc..... If I was having someone install the battery, I would probably go with the add-a battery kit.

FreshSalt09

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 Open ID
Boat Length
How long are you guys getting out of your house battery without it be charged by something like an ACR? I just installed a 2400w amp to my deep cycle but I’m concerned about the runtime, especially if I’m using the trolling motor too. I’ve got an 2 bank on-board charger that plugs into the wall but that doesn’t help me if I’m on the water all day.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How long are you guys getting out of your house battery without it be charged by something like an ACR? I just installed a 2400w amp to my deep cycle but I’m concerned about the runtime, especially if I’m using the trolling motor too. I’ve got an 2 bank on-board charger that plugs into the wall but that doesn’t help me if I’m on the water all day.
You run a 2400w amp and a trolling motor off of a single battery? What kind of battery? How many channels is that amp and what kind? Did you mean a 240w amp?

FreshSalt09

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 Open ID
Boat Length
You run a 2400w amp and a trolling motor off of a single battery? What kind of battery? How many channels is that amp and what kind? Did you mean a 240w amp?
Rockville Rxm-F4 only running 2 channels right now.

It’s a group 24 battery @ 79ah. Think I need a larger battery or even a third battery?

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Rockville Rxm-F4 only running 2 channels right now.

It’s a group 24 battery @ 79ah. Think I need a larger battery or even a third battery?
I think that amp is more like 400 watts (4x100w) so you should be fine. Not sure if the efficiency but as long as you charge between uses you should be able to gauge how it will work out.