• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Battery charging?

Troy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a dual battery set up in my boat with a battery switch. I use a Bosch C3 charger. I usually just turn the battery switch to off then place the charger on one battery at a time. Is it safe to put the battery switch to all and just leave the battery charger on one battery. This would prevent me from loosing the radio presets each time and in my small mind charge both batteries.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My dual bank onboard charger is wired like that with no ill effects. I also charge my rhino without unhooking the battery leads. I have a stereo in that thing as well. It hasnt hurt it in 8 years I have had it.

Question though why do you have to move your battery selector switch? Isnt your dual bank charger wired to each of the batteries? So that would mean that it doesn't matter where the selector switch is.

Troy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It's not a dual bank charger, sorry if my original message wasn't clear. It's not even attached to the boat. I hook it up at then end of the day to the batteries with some clamps and the plug it into the wall. As you can tell my electric knowledge is pretty much limited to turning light switches on and off. And even that can confuse me sometimes

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
That was my fault I read that wrong. You shouldnt have to turn the battery selector switch just make sure everything is turned off on the boat. Should be just fine. Like I said that is the way I charge my rhino with no ill effects so far.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
No problem.

RumDiet

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I don't think turning the battery switch off should make you lose the battery pre-sets - at least it doesn't in my boat - I'm far from expert but I think the radio wires are a couple of small ones that connect directly to the battery.

Troy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@RumDiet every time I switch my battery switch to off I loose my presets on the radio. Also, love your screen name.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I don't think turning the battery switch off should make you lose the battery pre-sets - at least it doesn't in my boat - I'm far from expert but I think the radio wires are a couple of small ones that connect directly to the battery.
It depends on how you wire the battery switch, if you wire all of the wires to the switch then it will kill power to the whole boat in the off position. If the small wires are on the battery itself then you will not loose power to the boat.

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Here is the stock dual battery switch from my 242 LS you can see the wire for the radio presets cruising right on through to the battery by D (house to boat) and C (switch to battery). Seems like the wire could have just been wired to C.WP_20130525_009.jpg

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
You bring up a good point @davel501 , is this a factory switch or did you add the switch and second battery @Troy ? I just assumed that it was an aftermarket switch and battery like my setup which has no provision for a radio lead. When my system is off the whole boat is dead.