• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Battery smells like rotten eggs

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So one of my battery's is out gassing, I'm about to go pull them and take the bad one in to get replaced. The question is why did thus happen. Could my dual bank charger be overcharging one if them??

which battery was it? primary or secondary?

I've had a battery "House Battery" split around the seam at the top of the battery. It was hot. Oddly enough it still worked and the only way I knew there was an issue was when I went to turn the switch off I noticed the area was warm. I opened the battery box it was in an found it leaking fluid and of course it being hot.
When I took it to the store to replace it still tested good. Bad thing was that warranty expired just over a month prior.

Battery type was a dual purpose type.. cranking and deep cycle.

Sucks they are only putting a 1 yr warranty on Marine batteries.

Assuming its a lead acid battery, sounds like it may be sulfated.

Worth a watch:

Assuming its a lead acid battery, sounds like it may be sulfated.

Worth a watch:

Note: some good discussion about sulfated batteries, and an old school method to deal with them. I have NOT used this method myself. I don't have that much time or patience.

It was a lead acid battery, interstate battery 2 year warranty and was about 4.5 years old. It was battery 1 which was the cranking battery. It looks like I let one of the cells go dry which killed the battery. When I removed it to test it tested dead, and the guy at Autozone said he would have to charge it for 2 hours to test, I just went ahead and replaced it with a new marine starting battery with 1000 amps cranking. I figured I got my monies worth out of the OEM battery.

The new battery came with a 1 year warranty which seems odd to me. Don't car batteries come with 3 and 4 year warranties?

N
It was a lead acid battery, interstate battery 2 year warranty and was about 4.5 years old. It was battery 1 which was the cranking battery. It looks like I let one of the cells go dry which killed the battery. When I removed it to test it tested dead, and the guy at Autozone said he would have to charge it for 2 hours to test, I just went ahead and replaced it with a new marine starting battery with 1000 amps cranking. I figured I got my monies worth out of the OEM battery.

The new battery came with a 1 year warranty which seems odd to me. Don't car batteries come with 3 and 4 year warranties?

Nope, all marine batteries are now 1 year. Car batteries are longer as usual.

So I started using a solar panel in winter instead of just letting it go dead and killing the battery and got more years out of it.

I use a guest dual bank charger. But the lack of water in one cell killed the battery. It's tucked way back on the port side so it's hard to check

Back