• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Battery Switch

jrhunt84

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length
So aside from the impeller boot issue on my previous thread, my battery switch broke a couple of weeks ago and is stuck "on". The dealership has ordered a new replacement panel but there's not temporary fix to it.

So my question is this, given that I store on the trailer after every use...is there anything that will actually drain the battery if I ensure everything is turned off or is it best to manually disconnect the batteries every week.

The new switch plate will very likely take 6 or more weeks to ship. I'd prefer to not have to disconnect all the batteries every week but will if need be.

Winerocks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Should be only the bilge pump that may kick on if you don’t pull your drain plug (please pull the drain plug). There should be no other big draws. It may drain really slowly; lots of electronics on these boats. I would likely pull the safety lanyard as well.
A better solution to disconnecting the battery would be to use a trickle charger the day before you plan on going out. Every time you disconnect and reconnect increases the chance of either missing a wire, or not tightening enough.

jrhunt84

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length
Unfortunately, there's no power where my boat is stored on the trailer (at the marina). I have a portable jump pack for "just in case" but no way of trickle charging the battery. I never thought of pulling the safety lanyard but I'll do that in the future! I also pull the plug every time we take it out of the water so the rain water that gets through the cover, cause we know it does, can drain out.

FYI....dealer has ordered the replacement switch. Scarab does not sell the switch individually and you must buy a whole new panel at a cost of $395. Such is the life of a boater....

blthlt

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length
what battery switch do you speak of? surely you dont have to replace the whole panel for the battery selector? Can you post a picture?

jrhunt84

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length
Yup, gotta replace the whole thing. Gotta love boat manufacturers!

Attachments

jrhunt84

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length
Why am I not surprised that the dealer/scarab didn't share this information. Just canceled the panel order and ordered this switch off of Amazon.

Thanks for the heads up!!!