• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

BATTERY TENDER LEADS

GNX231

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Hey all I want to hook up a battery tender to my boat. however i'm not sure how to put the leads on so both batteries get charged at the same time. also do i have to turn the parallel switch on or one of the other battery swithes?

What @justason said. You need a bank charger. The batteries also need to be isolated from each other, so each respective battery switch must be set to off/storage

I would recommend buying an on board dual battery charger. Personally I feel this is a good option at a great price Marinco 36082-12 8 Amp 12 V Dual Output Marine On-Board Battery Charger and Alternator Module . I have used a similar 10 amp charger my boat for the last two years. I plug it when whenever we are not on the water. It keeps the batteries charged and the refrigerator running.

If your batteries are identical and in the same state of use and condition you could connect your charger to the switch and set it to parallel. You do not want to create parallel wiring on the battery side of the switch as it would result in the batteries always being in parallel and the wires are unlikely to be of sufficient size to handle the current.

I have a battery tender Jr. I never thought of if was capable for two batteries I don't think it is.

I would recommend buying an on board dual battery charger. Personally I feel this is a good option at a great price Marinco 36082-12 8 Amp 12 V Dual Output Marine On-Board Battery Charger and Alternator Module . I have used a similar 10 amp charger my boat for the last two years. I plug it when whenever we are not on the water. It keeps the batteries charged and the refrigerator running.

If your batteries are identical and in the same state of use and condition you could connect your charger to the switch and set it to parallel. You do not want to create parallel wiring on the battery side of the switch as it would result in the batteries always being in parallel and the wires are unlikely to be of sufficient size to handle the current.
I also never thought I was creating a always parallel setup. thank you

I have two Battery Tender Jrs (one for battery). I keep the boat switch's off so each battery is independent. This has worked well for me for years. I also use them on lawn mowers and my motorcycles.

i'm pretty frugal with my money, so i did the Battery Tender juggling route for awhile. that was a pain and it took forever due to low amps (though it worked great on my sportbikes). even if you buy two of the cheaper Battery Tender Juniors, you're about halfway in price to a decent, entry-level 2-bank model that will charge your batteries simultaneously and quicker, plus condition them. i chose the NOCO GEN Mini 2 because of it's compact size and added the port plug accessory near the gas cap. install was very easy and all i ever have to do anymore is just run one extension cord out there and unzip the mooring cover.

Great thank you all for your ideas looks like im buying a 2 bank charger

Then we'll talk about drilling a hole in your boat for a power port!!!

oh i have no problem drilling holes in my boat i was just kidding around. what does bother me about the holes are the fact i always have to buy way more sealant then i need and waist the rest.

I have the blessing to put my boat in the garage during the winter, which helps the batteries significantly. I have a battery tender Jr and also a small solar battery charger (with over charge and back feed circuit) so I mostly just use the solar and the wires are just long enough that I run it out the door or window all winter and then I make sure the tender Jr goes on during the couple weeks before I am going to use the boat and typically the batteries are topped off within a night of that anyways.

Back