• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Battery Up-Grade AGM TPPL & Battery Tray Drainage Issue

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Looked in the FAQ archives and saw a few older posts somewhat on this issue. For reference the boat I am discussing is a 2020 Yamaha SX195. Like a number of members on this forum who have single battery set-ups AND wet slip their boats, I was worried that any leaks during strong/prolonged rains could deplete my battery due to repeated bilge pump activity. We recently had several days of torrential rains. Upon examination afterwards the bilge had very little water in it. YAHOO! The factory bow and cockpit covers must have done their job. I checked the battery voltage and it was at 12.3 volts so not close to failure (10+/- volts). Nevertheless, I measured the molded in battery compartment (not a tray) that is molded and gel coated into the boat's deck under the port stern seat. It measured 12"X 8". The dealer-installed battery was a group 24 Interstate 24M-XHD. Not a crap battery but definitely not top shelf. I have had a lot of experience with batteries. My 2014 38 foot cruiser had 5 series 31 AGM batteries complimented by a 5 Kw Kohler generator. I already knew what I wanted, so I purchased the best battery that would fit into the molded cavity. I got a group 27 AGM Thin Plate Pure lead (TPPL). This type of battery is the next step up from the "normal" AGM batteries and the best technology available for our application at the moment. The AGM TPPLs have the legendary AGM's cold crank amps, reserve minutes, amp hours and super rapid charge acceptance - 40% % faster than conventional batteries but the TPPLs up the game to 50%+ faster charge acceptance and acceptance of any amperage from the charging system. So what you ask? Well with the jet boat's smaller stator and weaker charging capability these AGM TPPLs are BEASTS - they accept smaller charging amps a looooot faster and run down (to deeper discharges) a looooot slower. Best of both worlds. This addition will greatly reduce my concern about my bilge pump depleting my battery when wet slipped, not being depleted by the stereo on anchor and then charging super fast! Now for the battery "tray" issue. Some water did get into the boat. It looks like it got past the cockpit cover where it goes around the aluminum Bimini arms. The water ran down the arms into the water channels around the port stern seat above the battery area and leaked into the under-seat locker holding the battery. As mentioned, on my boat, that is a molded-in, gel coated box 12"X 8" by about 4" +/-deep. Question: Have any 190/195 owners had this area fill with water? If you have did you fit a drain or drill a hole? If you did can would you please advise a mod. I have some ideas but if someone has already done this no need to re-invent, right? Thanks!

@Canuckjetboater Can you link the battery you purchased. I am getting ready to buy two AGM TPPLs but trying to decide on the exact battery.

@Canuckjetboater Can you link the battery you purchased. I am getting ready to buy two AGM TPPLs but trying to decide on the exact battery.
@HangOutdoors ....the TPPL I bought was from a Canadian supplier but in the U.S. West Marine and Penn-Deka are great sources and I have heard from American friends that Sam's Club sells them too. As for an actual name NorthStar makes an amazing TPPL.

Back