• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Beaching our jet boats. Yamaha

Brad Dunn

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I like to ability to beach my boat. Usually back in for easy load unload. Any recommendations. I try to be as careful as possible but is there any thing to add for added protection?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
update your profile with your boat type and add your location, it will automatically add you to the member map,

a keel guard is great insurance, I purchased the longest I could,

Depending on the type of bottom is how far I'll back in and sometimes use an anchor front and back,

an anchor buddy can also make things easier, keeping the boat away from the shore until you need to pull it closer,

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I usually back in with an anchor off the bow and the shore spike off the stern. Just make sure you're in about knee to waist deep water to avoid bottoming out. If you plan to bow in to the beach, a keel guard is a must have, but you will still get some wear where your boat is contacting the sand.

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
IMHO I would never beach my boat (boat hull in contact with bottom) I back in to 3' of water with a front anchor and then a small kedge into the wind. I do not want to suck sand in the intake/engine and the sand will mar the hull. Also you could damage the keel/rudder. :jimlad::jimlad:

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
we just pull up to our spot drop our front anchor in the 10 feet or so of water and then I throw the back anchor (motor off) and pull the rear around. When we leave I pull the back anchor and then the wind turns us around where we are in the deeper water and pull the front. We do anchor at this same spot every time we are out. I don't want suck up and thing so this is our practice. Of course we a stern drive boat try to pull up next to us and I didn't see him until too late and I had to help push him out.

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I use an Anchor Buddy (stretch anchor line). I'm still going to use it but I'm changing my procedure.

Up till now I would drop the anchor, back up to the shore, and keep the boat in reverse while I set the shore spike. As I have just had my impellers refurbished I will not be leaving the boat in reverse any longer. But that means the Anchor Buddy would be pulling the boat away from the shore (which is the really great feature of the Anchor Buddy) while I'm trying to set the shore spike.

From now on I will back to the shore and shut the engines off. I'll set the shore spike and use a long line to the stern cleat. Then I'll push off, fire up the engines, and move forward to drop the anchor. This won't be as easy as the old method, especially if there is a breeze to blow the boat around while I'm setting the shore spike. but it will eliminate potential for impeller damage due to sucking up small stones. My impellers lasted 11 years and still didn't look that bad before they were refurbished. but I also had the gel coat gone over and I want to keep the boat in tip top shape.

The Anchor Buddy is great. It pulls the boat away from the shore so the stern doesn't come in contact with the bottom if there are waves. Then we just pull in on the stern line to pull the boat to shore for loading.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Slap a keel guard on that thing and use the crap out of it...... You are not going to hurt the boat. I always make sure I push away from the sand before I start my engines, if possible, to avoid sand ingestion.

newbote

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I use an Anchor Buddy (stretch anchor line). I'm still going to use it but I'm changing my procedure.

Up till now I would drop the anchor, back up to the shore, and keep the boat in reverse while I set the shore spike. As I have just had my impellers refurbished I will not be leaving the boat in reverse any longer. But that means the Anchor Buddy would be pulling the boat away from the shore (which is the really great feature of the Anchor Buddy) while I'm trying to set the shore spike.

From now on I will back to the shore and shut the engines off. I'll set the shore spike and use a long line to the stern cleat. Then I'll push off, fire up the engines, and move forward to drop the anchor. This won't be as easy as the old method, especially if there is a breeze to blow the boat around while I'm setting the shore spike. but it will eliminate potential for impeller damage due to sucking up small stones. My impellers lasted 11 years and still didn't look that bad before they were refurbished. but I also had the gel coat gone over and I want to keep the boat in tip top shape.

The Anchor Buddy is great. It pulls the boat away from the shore so the stern doesn't come in contact with the bottom if there are waves. Then we just pull in on the stern line to pull the boat to shore for loading.
This seems more complicated then it needs to be - I just put out & set the front anchor and then gun it a bit in reverse, shut off engines, and then jump off back of boat in about thigh deep water. I then put out the stern anchor on the shore - if I need to get the boat deeper I just then manually bring in some line on the front. At the end of the day I then bring in the stern anchor, get everyone on boat, pull the boat out with the bow anchor, & then start motors and go. That way no sand gets ingested and no issue with boat getting scratch by beaching.

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This seems more complicated then it needs to be - I just put out & set the front anchor and then gun it a bit in reverse, shut off engines, and then jump off back of boat in about thigh deep water. I then put out the stern anchor on the shore - if I need to get the boat deeper I just then manually bring in some line on the front. At the end of the day I then bring in the stern anchor, get everyone on boat, pull the boat out with the bow anchor, & then start motors and go. That way no sand gets ingested and no issue with boat getting scratch by beaching.
The only thing about that process, for me and the rapid depth change of our lakes, is if I want the boat to be a bit more away from the shore it will be too deep and I'd have to swim out to the boat. The Anchor Buddy solves this problem because it pulls the boat away from the shore to keep it from being damaged, then I can just pull it in from the shore when I want to step onto the swim deck.