• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bearing housing grease fitting 15' 242 LS

Hezi

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
So the manual calls for greasing the bearing housing. My grease gun is all ready. One thing the manual is calling is to fill slowly not to damage the internals. In my industry (trucking), when greasing, you will see grease come out somewhere (u joints seals etc) and you know when to stop.

Can anyone enlighten me on how to grease and when to stop?
Thank you all in advance

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It’s tricky. That bearing acts as a shaft seal. The grease in the bearing keeps the water on the right side of the boat. I’ve been giving mine 5 pumps of grease a year without issue. Some folks measure the amount of grease in each pump of the gun and calculate how much to put in.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
First you need to know how much your grease gun puts out per pump. Then do the calculation so you know how many pumps to put in per the recommended amount of grease. STOP pumping if you feel any resistance to err on the side of caution. Too little grease is better than too much grease for this application as you can blow a seal if you pump in too much. Not all grease guns are the same nor pump the same amount. 5 pumps for them may be 3 or 10 pumps for you and your gun.

Hezi

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
First you need to know how much your grease gun puts out per pump. Then do the calculation so you know how many pumps to put in per the recommended amount of grease. STOP pumping if you feel any resistance to err on the side of caution. Too little grease is better than too much grease for this application as you can blow a seal if you pump in too much. Not all grease guns are the same nor pump the same amount. 5 pumps for them may be 3 or 10 pumps for you and your gun.
Thank you for that. I did add and was very conservative (2 pumps on a large gun). I wish this was done a little different with outlet for air or old grease. This would have eliminated the guess work out of the equation. Well, thank you guys for this valuable info!

boudin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just rebuilt one of these the other day, so it's fresh in my head. It will help to understand what the housing looks like on the inside. There are six pieces inside a bearing housing. From the inside of the boat to the outside of the boat, this is the order. (numbers match the pic below):

5. Inner bearing seal
6. Circlip
7. Hermetically sealed bearing (requires no grease--ever--driveshaft is pressed into this)
6. Circlip
5. Outer bearing seal
8. Outer water seal

When you add grease, you are adding it between #5 and #8 only. The only purpose of the grease is to prevent any water that gets past #8 from getting past #5, which would then get into the bearing itself.

There is very little space between #5 and #8, and it does not require much grease. I would not put more than a pump or two of grease in every few years. If you put too much, you'll blow seal #8.

-GregYamaha Mid-Bearing.jpg