• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Bearing Issue

Johmas50

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Sorry, if this is a duplicate I'm sure someone has had this issue before but I'm at Lake Norris and have limited internet and only my phone to post from. We towed down here from KY and I knew the bearings would be hot, so I waited 15-20 mins before dunking the trailer but on my passenger side wheel that has the trailer brake I had a "bearing blowout" the bearing buddy is still intact but there is now grease all around the outside of the bearing under the cap. It doesn't look like I lost anything other than some grease. Is it reasonable that I could clean up the outside of the buddy and add some more grease and be good to go home on Saturday?

I have had this happen to the point where it seems the grease had liquified and bled out the excess grease hole. I have just wiped clean, applied a few pumps and all was good after that. That said, I (for ease of mind) would jack up that tire and spin it to ensure all is good.

Sorry, if this is a duplicate I'm sure someone has had this issue before but I'm at Lake Norris and have limited internet and only my phone to post from. We towed down here from KY and I knew the bearings would be hot, so I waited 15-20 mins before dunking the trailer but on my passenger side wheel that has the trailer brake I had a "bearing blowout" the bearing buddy is still intact but there is now grease all around the outside of the bearing under the cap. It doesn't look like I lost anything other than some grease. Is it reasonable that I could clean up the outside of the buddy and add some more grease and be good to go home on Saturday?
I would jack that wheel off the ground and then tug on it. If the hub doesn't wobble then you should be good to clean up the grease, repack the bearing with grease, reinstall the bearing buddy, and drive home.

Your brake caliper might be hung up and causing this overheat issue. Can you jack up that wheel and spin it to see if it's hanging up?

@Johmas50 ive found that your situation is often caused by a sticky brake caliper. The sticky caliper causes the brakes to lag a bit, thus building up heat, liquifying the grease which then is squeezed out of the bearing buddy seals.

Was there a long decent somewhere on your drive to the lake? That can cause it too.

I'd say it's ok to clean it up, re-grease it and check the hub for heat along the way back. It might be necessary to take the wheel off and pry the caliper apart a bit. Re install the wheel and use a lockout key (on the tongue) in order to get home. But you'll want to be careful if you deactivate the brakes for obvious reasons. But that would at least get you home.

You can usually find a curb to run the front wheel up onto and get the rear to hang in the air to spin by hand.

Normally I would agree with the sticky brake hub, and it may indeed be sticky. But if you had ever seen these hills around Lake Norris you might not think so. I'll check and make sure it spins but the hills getting to this place are almost vertical. When I stopped before letting the brakes and bearings cool before launching the boat the truck and trailer brakes were burning hot, you could smell them. I appreciate the fast feedback. Ill see if I can get that tire elevated to check it out.

If you've got super hills you should probably upgrade your braking system by adding brakes to the other axle.

If you have boiled the grease you should replace the seals when you get home along with repackingbthe bearings.

If you've got super hills you should probably upgrade your braking system by adding brakes to the other axle.

If you have boiled the grease you should replace the seals when you get home along with repackingbthe bearings.

Good deal, mainly I'm just worried about getting home at this point. We only come down here maybe once a year and primarily my boat is left at the marina in dry storage. I do believe the grease has boiled, hopefully I can make it home and then address the issue.

Last edited:
I'm always impressed by the wisdom this forum provides. I just breezed through all of the posts quickly and was amazed at the rapid fire trouble shooting and suggestions. Bravo guys!

Absolutely, my wife makes fun of me and says this is my boating Facebook but I don't care, the level of knowledge and extremely quick feedback on this site is second to none. Thanks to all for your quick replies and advice.

Back