• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Berkey Jet, new impeller needed for high elevation?

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I couldn't find much information on it but curious if putting a lower pitch impeller if would it help me get out of the water more quickly in higher elevation. Any advise or help would be great. I don't care about my high speed as much, just hoping to get a single skier out of the water easier, seems to drag a bunch more up here to when pulling someone out of the water.

My boat is a 1978 Tahiti Mini day cruiser with a 460 ford motor in it. I bought the boat off my father, were it was ran at close to sea level in California. Now being at higher elevation I am trying to figure out how to make the boat more efficient with the loss of power. I already had to adjust the carb, re jet it and adjust the vacuum secondary to get it to kick in. Still seems to be having some lagging issue not really due to any motor lag it sounds good at WOT but doesn't seem to be getting full RMPs I remember reaching, running at sea level. Motor is maxing out at around 3800 RMP here in Colorado and its been awhile but I believe it was closer to 4300 or 4400 RMPs we would hit in California.

I know of a lot of boats here they adjust the pitch on props to achieve this but just hoping someone might know more then I about impellers and if it would, one help me get out of the water quicker and two might get me the extra RPMs. I don't know the pitch on the impeller currently in the boat, I haven't taken it apart want to see if it might be a good solution before I get into the work.