• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Best Mildew Cleaner?

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ok, let's hear everyone's opinions please. My bimini top is severely nastified after being stored all winter. What product or concoction have you found that works best to get it clean?

Following this. Mine was mildewy when I bought it, I've removed it and tried all kinds of stuff but nothing cleaned it completely.

I've used Starbrite Mildew and Stain Remover on my seats. Stuff works pretty dang good and cleans them right up. Not sure if that stuff is meant to be used on a Bimini though. I will check the bottle.

For canvas I soak it in a bleach solution until all mold is gone. Fill up a large tote bin with water and add 1/2 gallon of bleach. Put canvas in tub and agitate for a few minutes. Check back in an hour and if nothing cleared up use the other 1/2 gallon of bleach. You could also wet down the Bimini and use Tilex and a medium stiff brush. Rinse extremely well either way you go.

I have found that most of the 'cleaners' you buy for mildew/mold are primarily bleach. And bleach is a LOT cheaper. Note that with bleach less is more. 100% bleach does not clean better; it only removes color. 10% bleach solution will do you just fine. Rinse afterward as @Murf'n'surf recommended to avoid ill effects.

Instructions for Starbrite Mildew Stain Remover. Says Boat Tops and stuff. I don't know. Here is the back label.

20150417_204212.jpg

I love the Starbrite Hull Cleaner, and have had great experiences using it. I'll give the Starbright a shot first, if it doesn't work I have a new large Rubbermaid trash can that should be big enough to try the bleach / water soak.

Thanks guys, now if this freaking rain would stop I could clean the bimini!

I used Starbrite on my Bimini top and it worked great. Set it out on the lawn, sprayed a square and lightly scrubbed. Came right up!

As said above, Starbrite works well with most mildew cleanup.

Last edited:
Back